Betta Fish Forum banner

How many corys?

778 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  peachii 
#1 ·
I have a 10 gallon tank, filtered/heated/aerated/planted.

I usually have my male betta (though he's in a hospital tank right now) in there.
Right now I have 3 African Dwarf Frogs and 1 Salt and Pepper Cory catfish.

I originally had a juli cory, but that one died so I'm down to one cory.

I know they should be in groups, but did I buy the wrong cory? People are recommending "pygmy" cories though I don't see them at the pet store. I've read Salt&Pepper cories can get up to 1.4", if I get maybe 3 more will that be too much? I normally would try and get more right away but I'm afraid of having too many bottom feeders between my frogs and the cories and someone dying of starvation because I can't keep track of who's eating what.

My current cory doesn't seem stressed or anything and seems to be doing okay by himself... Honestly he hangs with the frogs sometimes. Should I leave the tank how it is?

#2 ·
If the salt and pepper Cory to which you are referring is a peppered Cory, then it will grow to about twice what you said - approaching 3 inches.

Yes, Corys should be in a school. However, in my opinion your tank is not large enough to accommodate a school of full size corys, so I would just leave things as they are and not get more.

Sent from Petguide.com App

#3 ·
Yes, a peppered cory. haha sorry, I'm adopting a "salt and pepper" hedgehog, and got the name screwed up, haha. Yeah, the person at petsmart gave me misinformation on the size of the cory and what I should get. :( I'll leave it as it is, he seems comfortable with the frogs. lol

#4 ·
Reading online will also give you mixed information about peppered cories as to the size, I bought 3 to go into my 10 gallon but after reading a bunch of different sites - after I read the one that said 1.4 inches, I moved them into the 29 gallon with the other cories. Disappointing really but thanks to a friend I have 10 pygmy cories coming at the end of the month. yay!

If anything I would get 4 or 5 pygmy cories and let him hang out with them, be the king of the group or something. All of my cories seem to get a long fine with each other - I have 3 colors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.