Betta Fish Forum banner

Hypothetical female for Leo

1K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  Curlyfatbottom 
#1 ·
If I ever wanted to breed Leo, what would be a good color to breed him too. It's hypothetical of course. I don't know if I want to breed him or not

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I would stick with a lighter yellow female vt with nice wider rays. He looks like a marble yellow marble is dominant and yellow is resessive but depends on your goals what you want to do.

#3 ·
If you were going to be breeding Leo, I would pick a female with the nicest form I could find over a complimentary colour.

His form unfortunately leaves a lot to be desired, and since VTs tend to be a genetic grab bag for colours anyway I would focus more on improving the form of any offspring first and then focusing on colour further down the track.

#5 ·
I agree with LittleBettaFish of form over color but what are your goals? Hm or pk could make your vt babies have wider full fins. I would keep the yellow if you could. And he looks like a marble lol to me at least.

#6 ·
I thought that since no one is really breeding them except for pet stores, someone should try to bring them back maybe trying to better the breed,

#9 ·
Get a female with a better body structure "Leo" doesn't have a straight spine.

#11 ·
IMO VTs are VTs - you can't improve it. But you can use it to lengthen other fin types.

From where I'm sitting, he looks like a combination between copper and yellow (correct me if the picture doesn't do him justice). If you breed him to a dark color, you will probably lose the yellow or only have yellow on the fins (regardless whether he is copper or black). If you want to keep the yellow, breed him to another yellow, orange, or a red cambodian. White opaques may produce few yellows, but probably with irid colors (blue).

#13 ·
I love veil tales and I think they are under rated. Kinda sad now seeing this gorgeous yellow boy. Especially when my dad snatched the perfect girl for him from me. An all yellow female with wide rays. He only paid a dollar too...

#15 ·
I love all fin types and would not discourage people breeding them. What is most important to me is that they have a plan and are positively certain they can rehome the fry....... it would be a shame to see these go extinct just because humans can't appreciate them.

#16 · (Edited)
Yep agreed. This is why I haven't bred. I am looking for a job and probably wouldnt have the time it takes, and you don't always know what kind of home they will be in no matter what the buyer says. People lie. It's neat the way these fish are bred but if you aren't working for the best it shouldn't be done. But man would that girl have been perfect for him. I think the only peeve I have about Veils is the fin damage. They seem to get damage more than any other tail type. My oldest betta is a veil tale and just recently took up fin biting.

Also many people I know are sadly moving away from the Veil tales. Most buyers go for the latest greatest thing and veil tales are losing public appeal. I think the new most popular are plakats?

#17 ·
There isn't much demand for VT's so you'd probably to best to do smaller spawns(remove female early or scoop out some eggs) or heavily cull undesirables(you can see bent spins and such pretty early one and feed them to larger fish, that's how I do most of my early culling when they're tiny).

I'd find a nice bright yellow or one of those dark bi colors with a black/brown body and yellow fins and use her. I'd also go with a HM or HMPK female(easier to find a yellow that way aswell)....If you could find a yellow dragon female, maybe you can work on starting a small line of yellow/red dragon VT's. Work on just gettinmg a good body shape and full fins.

VT's don't sell well since we can find them pretty much everywhere for $2-$3 but you'd probably have a good chance with some nice colored(other then the common red/blue multies) to find them new homes. ^^ I know there is a fan base of people out there who adore VT's and just want them to come in more colors.

Chard56 has a purple and some black orchid VT's and such he sells on aquabid, so people do buy them when they're in new or rare colors.

#18 ·
Yeah, people have been saying use a HM or HMPK. If I don' find a VT female, I might use one of them. :) Hm...dragon VT, that would be interesting

#19 ·
I love his colors he does look marble. Yellow Betta are one of my favorite colors he is very pretty ! I have a Royal Blue Crowntail my daughter picked out for me for Mothers Day I love him so much and any color she would have picked out of course I would love.

#20 ·
To me vt r shine down since they overpower every other line
N Just to produce one show no skill of any sort(just prove that u can manage to raise a fish from egg)
Plus the market way over flooded with them
Marketing them is way to hard
I'll say if your going to breed him
Yellow, orange or a marble since u can't really go wrong with marble
Your boy look like a marble to me
Since the bio color on the body n fin
Or a black mask yellow with a dirty body

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.