Betta Fish Forum banner

Do Betas....

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  MrVampire181 
#1 ·
Normally rest on the bottom on the tank? I've had Kiki for almost a week now and each day he seems to spend a little more time hanging out on the bottom, then he'll just shoot to the top and swim around for a few minutes. Then its back to the bottom. :-? I don't think he's got fin rot or anything.Not that I can tell anyways. He's now eating bloodworms, won't take anything else right now( didn't eat for the first 4 days I had him. I have added aquarium salt, has a heater, filter and his tank is clean. The temp in there usually sits around 79-82, depending on the time off day.

Any advice?
Thanks, in advanc.

#3 ·
Thanks. I'll keep my eye on him. It seems to be the same spot on the bottom that he hangs out in. I think he likes to play games too.

#4 ·
They LOVE to sleep. One of mine flops on one of his floating plants and sleeps there :p

#5 · (Edited)
He should be fine, my betta tends to dissapear on the bottom of my tank behind his cave (or in it) for a minute or two then pops up and goes to the top for air. THen he will just go back to the bottom or stare at his reflection and flare his gills. If you are having trouble feeding him, then you may have a slight problem (mine gets very excited over food), but his lack of food consumption in the beginning probably came from being placed in a new enviroment. Sounds like you are doing everything you can for your betta! Good job :)

#6 ·
He's been swimming around more and being a weirdo, racing around and zipping up the sides and back down. He still won't eat anything but freeze dried bloodworms. There's another pet store I'm going to check out and see if they have the Bio Gold pellets. If not, its gonna be a long drive to get them.

#7 ·
My Betta usually chill at the bottom at night. They do have resting periods and it seems like your little guy is doing fine.
My new female CT won't eat either. She is hungry, just is just being picky. She only eats blood worms too, so I'm trying to fast her and encourage her to eat the pellets.

#9 ·
Hoooray!!! I have found something Mr. Picky will eat! Tetra BettaMin. Its flakes but he sure likes them. I thought I put too much in but he has eaten them all except for the one that sank to the bottom!!

#10 · (Edited)
Kinda off topic but I was wondering when bettas sleep they rest on the bottom (or decor), then how do they breathe at night since they breathe from the top, do they just sleep a few minutes at a time between air brakes or what.

#13 ·
I think they only sleep for a few minuets. A lot of my males build their nests at night.

#12 ·
haha,I thought about it when I saw the silhouette of my new guy just lying on the bottom for a good 5 minutes the I got up to check him and woke up and darted around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.