Betta Fish Forum banner

first time breeder

777 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  bettalover2033 
#1 ·
I am a first time breeder and very much wanting advice , I've read up on the basics, I have a 10gal breeding tank with a blue/purple dragonscale plakat male I plan to cross with a cellophane double veil tail female. Will try to post pics.

#2 ·
No issue I can try to help and I am sure other can also.

First, what is the size of the PK in reference to the VT?
Second, Is this the fist fish you have ever tried breeding?
Last, have you ever raise baby brine shrimp or micro worms or do you plan to buy live baby brine shrimp?
Lets look at the fish first and get them ready to breed and make sure there is not a big size issue with the PK. Do not get me wrong there are some very sweet PK's out there but I like to think of PK's as the pit-bulls of the betta world and they can be a little pushy to a smaller female if she is a first time breeder.
So if you do not mind we can look at the fish first. Then we will start to look at food and conditioning and then we will talk about breeding. This way if there is a issue you will know how to deal with it. There seems to be a lot of people here that seem to know a lot of good info. I am a breeder from thailand and we do around 45,000 fish 3 times a year. We sell in Bangkok and have been breeding fish for 10 years. We started with Discus, Angels, redtail cats, now we do Nile fish and betta's. We have wild and pk and hm pk. No veil or other. Only PK stuff and my wife has a pond with some huge snakeheads that she calls pets. I think of them as food. But we can help you any way you need. You will have fun but you need to take your time. Do things the right way and follow some simple rules. But make sure you can do the basic stuff first.
Get all supply's and have everything ready and clean. Then let the fish do what they do best, BREED!
If you do things the right way you should have a few hundred new fish by this time next year.
So tell us all the info you can on the fish.
How long have you had the fish?
Where did you get them?
Do you know the fish breeder?
Do you have some betta books or have you read the betta care e-book from this site?
How are you feeding and what are you feeding.
Can we see some pictures.
Smile and we will help you get a good start!;-)

#3 ·
I am a few months from actually breeding as I am just getting in the hobby I want to learn more. I found a buyer for some of my fish at a local pet store already . For some reason I can't post pics here but feel free to email me for pics at Burroughsdavid14@gmail I would love any advice

#4 ·
Also if I am successful in breeding a line of double tails do you know anyone who would be interested in them

#5 ·
Wow,that is great. Welcome to the hobby :) So you will have some time to get to know your fish and get them used to your daily routine. What is the size of the PK and the males get fairly large before they are ready to breed. So we can do this. First before you worry about selling any fish for sale lets get the fish in breeding condition and make sure you get a viable spawn. So what are you feeding and how much and when? Oh, to answer your last question on DT I do not think your PK and vail will give you very many DT if any. You will get some hm and some PKhm and some PK. But it might be a mix of tails till you line breed or cross to the body and tail you are looking for. DT should be a OK seller but we do not see much export call for it. PKHM and PK and Veil are bread and butter fish. The rest like crowns are just extras. So let us know the size and what and how you feed. Give us a kinda list of how you keep your betta's.We can help from there......But try not to sell fish before you have them. If later you wish to sell more fish but the first few spawns did not go well you might hurt your sales name. Keep it under wraps till you know your babies are almost ready then hold off your feed for a day and a half and bag them for sale. This way the poop and fun stuff will not bring up the Ammonia in the bag and kill your fish while you deliver you nice bettas.

#6 ·
That is a great way to start, but Remember that sometimes crossing tails can make the fish look a bit "weird" for lack of a better word.

Though It would be interesting to see the outcome, VT (long finned) is a dominant trait and sometimes will overpower the PK. If you want shorter fins go with another short finned female like a PK or HMPK. If you still choose the VT, I would say that to just keep in mind that you might have to cull some fry that have bent spines and physically bad deformities. That is because of the DT gene. (Never cross DT with DT or you might just have to cull the whole batch because of excess deformities).

Also I'd be interested in some just as well as many other members who want a breeding pair or just as pets. There are many of us here who would enjoy to have some. Also Aquabid is a great place to sell your fish if you have too many. I would first look at the category prices to get a feel of where your fish's quality begins and ends price wise.

Good Luck! And welcome to the forum both (Toddscire) and (Bettabreederla)!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.