Betta Fish Forum banner

My tiny walmart rescue is sick

982 views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  TRISHIESfishie 
#1 ·
He is totally lethargic. Stays on his side until he needs a breath, rights himself for a few minutes and back on his side. I started the epson salt treatment for bloat. But his left eye is bulged out and he looks a little flared. I don't know how to treat this. The eye thing scares me. I am relatively new to bettas and I am not sure if this is treatable. I would love any help.

#2 ·
You are on the right track with the Epsom salt-I would start him off in 1tsp/gal and if no improvement by day 3-increase the Epsom salt to 2tsp/gal-make 100% daily water changes as well for 10 day treatment
I would also cover the top with something to keep the air above the water warm and humid (I use plastic veggie wrap) and keep the water level low-I would keep him in the small container you got him in and float this in a heated tank (attach to the side so it doesn't sink)...if you have IAL or dried oak leaf add this too.

I pre-mix my Epsom salt 1tsp/gal up to 3tsp/gal in a clean 1gal jug-fill with dechlorinated water, add Epsom salt and add my oak leaf to steep-this make water changes and dosage easier...shake well before use
I like to treat in water temp of 76-77F
Feed small frequent meals but not so much that he bloats

#4 ·
IAL-Indian almond leaf

And yes, this should also help popeye-I just used this treatment on a female with bilateral popeye successfully-after 3 days I did have to increase the Epsom salt to 2tsp/gal and she made a complete recovery after 8 days-went home on day 9 and was spawned on day 12 and continues to do well.

#5 ·
IAL-Indian almond leaf

And yes, this should also help popeye-I just used this treatment on a female with bilateral popeye successfully-after 3 days I did have to increase the Epsom salt to 2tsp/gal and she made a complete recovery after 8 days-went home on day 9 and was spawned on day 12 and continues to do well.
His eyes look ok now. It's kinda hard to tell looking through the cup and tank vs. from the top view. I did a water change tonight on his qt cup, I know you said 24 hours but this morning was an emergency and I want to get him on a schedule I can keep. I will be withhoolding food for 3 days like you instructed me before. When I took his qt cup out of his tank, so the new qt cup and new water could acclimate to to tank, he seemed to really perk up after about 10 minutes. He still would go on his side but when he righted himself he was more active and stayed righted for several minutes instead of just a few seconds. Now that his cup has acclimated, I out him in the new cup and then the new cup into the tank and he has slowed back down again.

I don't think this is the cause but how do bettas act when they are too warm? My tank says 76 degrees (on a stick on the outside strip, my pet store is out of the other kind). I have another tank that has the strip and then a little "weather" thermometer in the actual water. There is about a 3-4 degree difference, with the weather them. being higher. I am figuring the water temp at the avg. between the 2.

I am sorry for so many questions. I am starting to feel like I should not own fish.

#7 ·
Yay my baby boy is doing better!! I came out this morning and he was swimming around! Poor little guy keeps trying to swim to the bottom of his tank. He doesn't realize he is in a cup inside the tank LOL!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.