Betta Fish Forum banner

Filter Change

901 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  muffygirl 
#1 ·
I have two 10 gallon tanks. Each has a whisper filter. Both tanks have been cycled. Readings are good.

First...how do I know when it is time to change the filter?

Second...will I have to recycle my tanks when I change the filter?

I am really stressing over this as it took so long to cycle my tanks in the first place and I do not want to kill my fish when it comes time to change the filters.

Thanks for help

#2 ·
Are you talking about changing the entire filter out or changing the filter pad? Either way when done properly will not hurt your cycle.

#4 ·
The majority of your beneficial bacteria lives in the filter. You don't need to change the cartridge just swish it in some used tank water to clean it and put it back in. Did your filter also come with a little black sponge in addition to the cartridge?

#6 ·
OK. The sponge is for your bacteria colony and the cartridge pad is for mechanical filtration although the bacteria will live on both. But you only really need to change the pad when it's falling apart or if it's totally gunked up and impedes the water flow. Otherwise just swish it in some used tank water and put it back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.