Betta Fish Forum banner

How can you tell the difference between fin rot and fin nipping?

6K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  JamieTron 
#1 ·
My betta Ichigo has gotten over a case of fin rot where his fins were falling off in chunks a couple of months ago...Finally his tail grew back, and he has a very long full tail...but today I noticed it is shredded at the ends. I was wondering if he could be fin nipping...they look shredded rather then big chunks falling off or fins being worn away. No brown tips on his fins, and it is only in one section on the caudal fin that is shredded looking (near the middle)

I have no plastic plants...
I have 2 silk plants and one live plant
2.5 Gallon tank
no filter
I have a heater but it's not on due to a consistent temperature. I will be turning it on soon because it will get cold at night now
I change half of the water each week (sometimes mores then once a week)
no other fish in the tank

#3 ·
1) Tailbiting happens super fast
2) It just eats up the tail with no sign of other symptoms
3) If your water quality is good, it's probably biting, not rot.
4) If it looks shredded (between the rays) it's probably tailbiting.

If you have a light in the tank, keep it off for now. In all the cases of tailbiting I've seen, lighting has got to be the number 1 stressor. Also, make sure the tank is not near any TVs, stereos, etc.

#4 ·
Oh okay thanks bettafish I'll try some salt baths to prevent infections :)

and thanks Kelly that was really good info, I think form what you said it's prob tail biting, it happened over night almost. I do frequent close health checks on my fish in the morning and before bed. He was fine before bed and had the damage early this morning. It was drastic and sudden.

I don't have a light because it was only a cheap little 2.5 gallon tank...but I was wondering if having a female beside his tank is bothering him. Has anyone heard of this? Perhaps he is bothered by her presence or is frustrated because he cannot get to her? That's the only stressor I can think of. He is on a stand close to my computer but I always listen to my music with my head phones to avoid annoying my downstairs neighbours. Hrmmmm I'll try to figure out what is buggin him

Thanks guys!

#6 ·
Hrm that's good to know actually, perhaps I will remove my female from his view and see what happens. Maybe her presence could be annoying him rather then calming him. My other males have never had a problem with females close to their tank, but I guess every fish is different ;)

thanks again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.