Betta Fish Forum banner

Orange Dbtpk X Marble HM

10K views 84 replies 20 participants last post by  Tro2012 
#1 ·
To celebrate first free swimming fry I will now start my spawn log hopefully I wont jinx anything!

Father: Raj Orange dbtpk

Dam: Noname Marble Hm (Originally white but now has a red patch on fin so Im going to call her a marble.)

#4 ·
Thank you it was a pain in the butt! Not to mention dad was extremely upset with me. but it always bugs me when people do spawn logs and dont have pictures and I love to see the development so I am making an effort to get pictures of the fry several times a week if not every day.

#6 ·
Yum!

Thank you Jayloo Im pretty excited. : D

Had to take Raj out tonight he was to frantic trying to catch all the free swimmers and put them back in the bubble nest only to have them swim away again! I put him back in his 2.5 gallon and he has spent the last 10 minutes searching the bottom of the tank for fry. Poor overworked daddy!

So I took a couple pictures of the fry eating banana worms. Also wanted to ask it seems like all the really good swimmers are all hanging out by the heater which I dont understand as I checked the temp farthest from he heater is 83 and closest is 85 so the tank is not cold Im thinking its because the heater has a little algae on it is it possible there may be infrusia and that why they like it so much?

#9 ·
XD no my camera really is that good I paid 39.99 for it at BigLots these are three out of about forty pics but I will give you some tips that get the best pictures from my camera.
1. never use zoom on your camera
2. on adult fish stand two to three feet away from tank and take picture
3. Use flash
4. than take your picture and select just the fish and crop the rest out then resize I use this website which works great and takes the pic out of your comp you dont have to upload the picture.

Fry pics all the rules about except you do need to be about 6 inches from glass and I use a bright flash light pointed into the tank at an up 45ish degree angle so the is no glare in the picture but still light.

Or if its dark turn all the lights off in your fish room point the camera where you think the fish is point and shoot and this works really well.

#11 ·
Need Help please!

just tried cleaning out my fry tank and it was awful I used a syfon whit a sock on the end I still sucked up a ton of fry so I had to put all the water back in! With no way to prefent the fry from being sucked up I just used a clear cup and picked up water from the top and used a flashlight to make sure there were no fry and then dripped new water into the tank but there is still gunk at the bottom of the tank I dont know how to get it out without sucking up little ones. Also introduced two ramshorne snails to the fry tank to hopefully help with uneaten food also I have counted two dead bodies with my flashlight but thats all I'd say thats not bad out of 150 to 200 fry but I would like to prevent further deaths.

Any suggestions to get the bottom of the tank clean would be very appreciated!

#13 ·
Mostly waste from the dad and mom and there are always micro worms wiggling around I feed them three times a day regardless of wether there are still live worms or not that way they always have food available to them. So some of it is dead food as well it already looks a lot better after adding the snails but I still want to clean the bottom out Im worried about a disease popping up. Im not finding any more dead boding this morning but they seem to have doubled in size since hatching so they look like they are growing well.

#14 ·
I siphon around where the fry aren't. For example they stay towards the left side of the tank because the filter is on the right. Then I siphon out about 25% of the water and then spot clean with a turkey baster. This is how I avoid sucking up fry but keeping things semi clean and doing a water change.

#15 ·
Thanks Jayloo! Okay I also when out and bought a tiny hose to siphon with so i will be able t better control it.

Also dad is recovering well I started feeding him chopped up little wax worms and he is perking right up.

Here are pics of fry this morning they are getting bigger!

#16 ·
I swear, the most frustrating part of raising betta fry is not the constant feeding of live foods nor water parameter checks....it's definitely the cleaning/siphoning the tank and having to pick out the individual fry that get sucked into the disposal water bucket. LOL........this by far takes up the majority of my time during each spawn.

#18 ·
I completely agree so nerve wracking! Funny part is no one seems to mention how difficult that part is they just mention the frequency not the difficulty of each tank cleaning. I gave up and bought a turkey baster and that was so much easier I didnt suck up a single fry! Also my fry are extremely curios they swim up to the hose turkey baster or my hand not away from it XD

#19 ·
What's even worse is sucking up the fry and not even realising its gone into the bucket. There's a few times when I almost poured the water away with one or two fry still inside the bucket.

Once they hit around 7-8 weeks it gets better... big enough not to get sucked up, can start to feed crushed pellets and they're less sensitive to water changes....

Congrats on your btw :)

#22 ·
Picture of the fry tonight so far so good I hope they are developing well. Does anyone know of a chart that has week by week of fry developement and general healthy size for each week?

edit: I would like to point out that dusty looking stuff is on the outside of the tank not the inside I forgot to wipe down the outside of the tank before taking pics sorry

#25 ·
Exactly. I have 2 week old that look four on the chart. I think that mine have a lot of space.( 35 gallon) and lots of live food(banana worm,Walter worm, micro worm, vinegar eels, and BBS every 3rd day) and frequent water changes (25-50% every other day) so therefore they have good growth...

#26 ·
I cant believe how much easier they are to spot now! They grow so much bigger every day cant wait to see how they turn out. does anyone know when eye color is supposed to become apparent seems like almost all the fry have orange eyes like daddy

#27 ·
Sorry I havent posted in awhile I've been preoccupied Lost to of my sorrority girls to swim bladder problems then this morning I found my ctdt girl dead with her head stuck in one of the budha head decorations I had in the tank. So I've been feeling pretty guilty.

Fry are doing great though love seeing their little orange eyes and watching them catch banana worms.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.