Betta Fish Forum banner

10 gallon project

2K views 60 replies 7 participants last post by  ChoclateBetta 
#1 ·
I'm planning on getting a 10 gallon tank this weekend.

It will have
A. Jingles or Sir Bubbles
B. 4 pygmy cories
C. Some non floating tanks
D. Sand substrate

I'm getting it all done this weekend, I'll post pics as I go on.
I might end up.buying the cories today and QT them until then :)

#2 ·
So I went to the pet store today, got a pH tester, a thermometer, and 5 cories.

4 pygmies and one bronze. He wasn't labelled so I wasn't sure what he was. IF someone can tell me whethere or not I should invest in 3 more bronzes, that'd be great. I'm okay with returning him if anything, but I want to keep the pygmies :)

#3 ·
You should return him, he won't shoal with the others. The bioload will be too much as well. 10 gallons are big in the Betta world, but not to other fish. Congrats on your new tank BTW. :) Are you going to cycle while your Cories are in QT?

#4 ·
Oh, if it was possible, I was going to get maybe 3 more bronze cories to shoal with :)
He's actually in the QT tank with them and they're all swimming together, it's weird.

And thanks! I'm actually planning on doing another fish-in cycle. It worked really well with my 5, as long as I keep the changes up :)

#5 ·
okay, I'm going to return the bronze when I am able to.
I'd rather just bring him back so he can go to a better home.

#6 ·
These are four of the pygmy cories going into my 10 gallon :)
The guy on the left is going to be returned.

So far, I chose the name Sylvester for one of the males. And Whiskers is a gender neutral. I figured since they're cat fish, I could use cat names.
There are 2 females and 2 males.

#7 ·
@LebronTheBetta that is good to know.

@Alcemistnv Awww those fishies are cute! Oh yay! Congrats! The possibilities with setting up a 10 gal tank are endless. So many amazing things you can do. As you can tell I'm super excited for you, lol! :) I also have a 10 gal tank but it is heavily planted with only snails inside. I'm afraid to add my betta, lol. Hopefully I will get the courage to do so. I'm doing a plant cycle. Well good luck! I can't wait to see pictures of your progress.

#8 ·
Thanks redraz!
Ima actually just about to return the one.Cory and then off to PETCO! :D

I'm so excited x3
I'm definitely going to get some plants but not too much. And definitely a good place for.jingles to hide in :3

#13 ·
ahh I hope it doesn't pose an anoyance :(

Just did a water test before adding the sand. Ammonia is at 0 and the pH is about 7.2. Unforuantely, there isn't much I can do about that. I DO have Tetra Safestart, if that will help...

#16 ·
Hey looks great! I love the colors. Very nice! How is the baffling coming along?

#18 ·
thanks!! :D

And I thought I was until the baffle fell off....
making that annoying trickling sound...

Can someone tell me what the pH should be, and what is HIGH? I know that the lower the number, the more acidif the tank is, so is 0 high, or 10?

#19 ·
I would say 6.8-7.6 is a good pH range. You wanna keep it somewhat constant. The lower the number the more acidic it is. So anything less then 6 is bad and anything over 8 is bad. That is what I have read.

#20 ·
0 is a very low ph and very acidic. I can't hink of any substances that acidic. I don't think there is a 0 but only as low as 1. Either way that is VERY acidic. Like serious burns acidic. 10 is high and pretty basic and also dangerous to fish. Your ph should be towards neutral or 7. The pH scale is from 1-14, 1 being the most acidic and 14 being most basic. Stuff like household cleaners are basic, and citrus is acidic. The most acidic thing I can think of is nitric acid. Second to that would be car battery acid. That stuff is also pretty dangerous. Lol sorry for going on about it but I'm sort of a chemistry nerd.

#23 ·
You should also test your tap water to see what the pH is normally. Mine is at 6.6 but when I condition the water it is at 7.6. Kinda helps to know what affects your water levels.

Are you planning to cycle your tank?

Oh I almost forgot with the baffle have some thing weighted at the end that hangs off the tank. That might help keep it in place. That video I posted on your FB post kinda shows you how it would look.

#24 ·
mine is normally at 7.2 :)

And thanks you guys ^^ For some reason I was worried the tank was worse because of the pH level. I understand that the ammonia should be under 1, but I never knew about the pH.

I am planning on doing a fish-in cycle. It worked with the 5 gallon, so it should work this time. Unfortunately, my hornwort is DEAD. I found too many snails on it to be happy, and the plants from Petco cost $7.99 a piece.. -.-

#26 ·
No worries. So many things it can be a bit confusing. ;) Oh okay that be good then. Espcially because you have done it before. Oh yeah I bought hornwort from there too and yes way too many snails. Awww that is too bad. $7.99 is a lot. :(

#28 ·
Maybe wait til tomorrow? Just so the tank has time to settle. I never did a fish in cycle before though. Did you use aged water?

#29 ·
I actually didn't used aged water, just the water from the tub.

Should I wait to add Jingles as well tomorrow, or longer? Or should I just put him in there tomorrow/tonight?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.