Betta Fish Forum banner

Getting a new tank for my new Bettas. Couple of questions.

1K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Laki 
#1 ·
I'm new to the forums and had a few questions. I've been out of the aqua hobby scene for awhile and got back into after i rescued 3 Bettas from the local pet store. (I probably would have rescued more but 3 was all I could carry.)

So as of now I have a red CT named Diablo (he has ray curl =/ ), a marble CT named Peacock, and a Royal Blue CT named Mr. Sparkles. They all have their seperate 1/2 gal aquariums. (I know!! I feel bad already! It's all I could afford at the time.) Anyways, today I bought a 10gal starter kit and ordered some dividers. (Figured 3.3gal would be enough for now until I can afford something bigger.) The dividers will be here in a week and that's when I'll get started on their new home. Since I've been out of the hobby for awhile, I had a few questions to make sure I'm doing this right. So here goes.

1. Bottom of the aquarium. As of now I have river rocks and pea gravel. I was thinking of getting some aquarium gravel from the store (since I would like to eventually have live plants) and mixing some of the river rocks in with it. Would this be ok? Or is there something better I can use?

2. Live plants. I'm looking for some live plants that are a) not too big since the aquarium will be divided. b) fairly cheap since I don't have a lot of money. and c) easy to take care of. Any suggestions?

3. Making the filter "slow flow". I have a cartridge filter and I know that having a high flow filter isn't good for Bettas. So I was thinking of taking some pieces of sponge and wedging it into the intake and maybe the exit of the filter to slow down the flow a little bit. Is this a good idea or can reducing the flow to the pump burn it out?

4. Feeding. Right now I have them on a mixed diet of pellets and freeze dried blood worms. I plan to get some frozen blood worms when I move them into their new home. I have access to live (wild) blood worms/ mosquito larva. Would feeding them that hurt them?

I think that's about it for now. Thanks for any and all advice. :-D

See less See more
#2 ·
Live plants. I'm looking for some live plants that are a) not too big since the aquarium will be divided. b) fairly cheap since I don't have a lot of money. and c) easy to take care of. Any suggestions?
amazon sword and water wisteria. The swords need the roots burried but the wysteria can free float in the tank. Somewhere on here there is a stickie about easy to care for plants. my swords are doing well in gravel.

be careful if you get them from petco or petsmart though. Not all their aquatic plants are actually aquatic - bamboo will die if fully submerged...

#3 ·
3. baffeling the filter is fine :)

4. i think it is fine if they are rinsed off O.O ??

#4 ·
Hi Adam, welcome to the forum :)
We'd love to see pics of your bettas, I love the sound of a marble CT. :> For the ray curl, many people put their betta in the window for some sun bathing lol! It should help, justmake sure the water doesn't get hot.
Ok,
1. Gravel is fine, I have swords growing in gravel just fine, some fertiliser would be good for them though. :)

2.I like wisteria, my swords tend to burn -__-, I have cabomba in my divided tank, it grows like mad but upwards so you can try that.. Java fern is good too! Low maintenance, doesn't like too much light.. This thread can give you good info on which plants maybe best for you: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=76428

3.As Abby said baffling is fine.. You can find a sticky about it in habitats as well...

4. That's fine, just catch them in a brine shrimp net and rinse under cold water for a minute and you're done. Your bettas will love you lol! If you're keeping the bloodworms with you for more than just one feeding, clean them 1-2 times a day under cold water or they will SMELL like the gates of hell! You can save them in a cool dark place, even the fridge! :)

#8 ·
if you're keeping the bloodworms with you for more than just one feeding, clean them 1-2 times a day under cold water or they will smell like the gates of hell! You can save them in a cool dark place, even the fridge! :)

lmao!

#5 · (Edited)
I'm new to the forums and had a few questions. I've been out of the aqua hobby scene for awhile and got back into after i rescued 3 Bettas from the local pet store. (I probably would have rescued more but 3 was all I could carry.)

So as of now I have a red CT named Diablo (he has ray curl =/ ), a marble CT named Peacock, and a Royal Blue CT named Mr. Sparkles. They all have their seperate 1/2 gal aquariums. (I know!! I feel bad already! It's all I could afford at the time.) Anyways, today I bought a 10gal starter kit and ordered some dividers. (Figured 3.3gal would be enough for now until I can afford something bigger.) The dividers will be here in a week and that's when I'll get started on their new home. Since I've been out of the hobby for awhile, I had a few questions to make sure I'm doing this right. So here goes.

1. Bottom of the aquarium. As of now I have river rocks and pea gravel. I was thinking of getting some aquarium gravel from the store (since I would like to eventually have live plants) and mixing some of the river rocks in with it. Would this be ok? Or is there something better I can use?
That should be fine.
2. Live plants. I'm looking for some live plants that are a) not too big since the aquarium will be divided. b) fairly cheap since I don't have a lot of money. and c) easy to take care of. Any suggestions?
I love to grab up a few bunches of stem plants during petcos buy 2 get 1 free sale.The stem plants are nice and 1 bunch can often be divided into a few bunches.Mosses, marimo moss balls and anubias are nice low light plants as well.
3. Making the filter "slow flow". I have a cartridge filter and I know that having a high flow filter isn't good for Bettas. So I was thinking of taking some pieces of sponge and wedging it into the intake and maybe the exit of the filter to slow down the flow a little bit. Is this a good idea or can reducing the flow to the pump burn it out?
That is what I do. I rubberband an aquarium sponge infront of the outtake.
4. Feeding. Right now I have them on a mixed diet of pellets and freeze dried blood worms. I plan to get some frozen blood worms when I move them into their new home. I have access to live (wild) blood worms/ mosquito larva. Would feeding them that hurt them?
Bettas love live food. Sounds like they will have a great variety of food to eat!
I think that's about it for now. Thanks for any and all advice. :-D
:-DI look forward to pictures once you get your tank up and running.

#6 ·
Oh, how could I forget the mossballs lol! Definitely get one of those.. They have what other plants don't... Personality lol!

#7 ·
I just want to thank everyone for their advice. Makes me feel like I kind of know what I'm doing. lol

Today I scavenged through my dad's aquarium stuff, (he's in Afganistan. I'm sure he wont't mind.) And came out with some filter cartridges, some white gravel substrate, a 300 watt adjustable heater, and 8 silk plants. Since I'm a stay at home dad and don't have a lot of money, getting these items for free will really help me get my Betta in their new home.

Thanks again everyone for the advice and suggestions. :-D

#9 ·
Lol! Seriously -__- I forget once and I don't bother washing them.. Just throw them away, I can't stand the smell! :lol:

#11 ·
So no on the 300W adjustable heater? What if i only stick it halfway in the tank? =D

I'm going to condition and cycle the tank for a week before I put the fish in it. So I'll see how that heater does.

As far as the blood worms. When I clean them. Wash behind the ears or no?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.