Betta Fish Forum banner

Delta Tail or HalfMoon ?

1K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Valentino14 
#1 ·
I purchased this male a few days ago from PetCo. His container says he is a Delta but could he be a half moon?

I am not very good at spotting tail types and these are the best pictures I could get of him while flaring

Yes, he is currently housed in a large jar. Quarantine until I know he has nothing wrong with him and until I set up my ten gallon as well as separating it!

See less See more
#3 ·
The pictures don't show up. You can try uploading them to imgur instead.

#5 ·
Looks like a HM to me. Gorgeous blue marble!

#7 ·
The only difference between a halfmoon and a delta is how wide his tail spreads. If when he flares his tail makes a perfect "D" shape, then he's a halfmoon. If it doesn't quite reach 180*, he's a delta and if he goes over, he's an over-halfmoon. It's hard to tell since your photo is at an angle, but it looks to me like he might be a delta. He's gorgeous no matter what his tail type is!

#9 ·
It is a little more than just getting up to 180 degree's technically. With real HM's you want the ray's at the edges to go straight out and then start the D shape. DeT does not go straight out and their first ray's at the edges of the tail tend to curve towards the end of the tail much like your boy does here. You could possibly get him up to 180 degree's but he will still technically be a Super DeT because of the rounded edges if this all makes sense to you :) He is quite beautiful though! Looks like he's going to be doing some coloring up on you soon! :-D

#11 ·
+1 to you too! Although I disagree on the peduncle, it shouldn't curve upwards like that. But otherwise his confirmation is very lovely!

#13 ·
He's a Halfmoon. His tail is 180 degrees.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.