Betta Fish Forum banner

New betta owner-- some concerns

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  dramaqueen 
#1 ·
Hello everyone! It seems after a Skype chat with my partner and two betta enthusiasts, I too have been bitten by the betta love bug (along with my partner). We've both purchased a betta each.

I've just set up my first betta tank a couple hours ago (a small 1 gal with some rainbow gravel and decorative plastic rocks, and a fake plant) and have been worrying for my new halfmoon fish buddy Wesker already.

I got him at Petsmart two days ago and he's hardly eaten since. I figured it was due to the tiny cup he was housed in and that and am relieved that he's in his new tank and is very active and flaring. However, he's still not eating. I've tried two different brands of betta pellets and bloodworms, and none have worked so far.

I plan to buy a small heater and a thermometer hopefully tomorrow and suspect that warmer waters will make Wesker feel more at home, and that he'll soon be eating.

I've already read up on care and all that, and have put tank salts in his water to prevent fungus and know that the smaller tank will require more attention when it comes to cleaning. I'm hoping that the tear in his tail will heal up, too. He's had it since I bought him, but he seems healthy so I'm sure it's not fin rot.

Here are some photos of Wesker, and I'll get a photo of the entire tank up sometime as well:

See less See more
#3 ·
Welcome to the betta addiction :)

Some bettas take a while to acclimate and accept the pellets. Try soaking the pellets in a bit of garlic water (some tank water and a bit of crushed garlic for 5-10 mins before feeding. If you're using freeze dried bloodworms, you need to soak those in some tank water anyway to reconstitute them.

As long as he's healthy otherwise, he'll catch on soon. Good luck.

#5 ·
Sad to have to update this with a bit of a dilemma. It seems that just today a small white patch has popped up on the end of his tail. Yesterday I cleaned out his tank 100% and I'm shocked to see that this has come up.

I've not been able to get him a heater yet, and his water is sitting at about 70-72 degrees. I'm aware that this is too cold but I'm afraid a Hydor Mini or something related would bake my new baby...

My mother and I are looking into some antibiotics and I have sprinkled in some tank salts for the time being. ;;

#6 ·
It could be bacterial but a picture would be helpful.

As for heating the tank, my suggestion would be to get at least a 2.5 gallon setup like the Aqueon kit that you can submerge a 25w heater in. Or check out Craigslist for tanks. I see 5 gallon hex tanks all day long on CL. With the 5 gallon, you would want a 50w heater.

#8 ·
All you can do at this point is to keep the water super clean.

I would also use some Melafix in very small doses to try to stop the spread of the rot.
Some people say Melafix is harmful and other swear by it but I've had great success in treating wounds and finrot with it. But like I said, I underdose and change the water constantly.

#9 ·
Wesker passed this afternoon. My mom did some research and she suspects that he may have had tuberculosis. I'm unsure, but he was apparently sick when we got him.

I didn't have Wesker for long, but he was very special to me and I've cried for him all the same.

I'll get another betta sometime, but it won't be any time soon...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.