Betta Fish Forum banner

Had an argument

2K views 50 replies 17 participants last post by  Butterfly 
#1 ·
I had an argument with one of my roommate's boys once. I know you've never been bitten because you can go through the roof. If he decides to bite he can certainly wreak havoc with your day.

#8 ·
Yes bettas have teeth, like many fish, but they are really tiny teeth. It is why at first she nibbled my finger a I screamed and jumped but seriously it just tickles. I don't feel much in my finger tips but I can feel her. If your betta did get you, that'd be one weird betta. You SURE you don't have a Parana?

#13 ·
Is it just me anthropomorphizing, or do they seem to make little angry faces when you disturb them? I think it's cute, actually. Pet anger can be adorable when the situation is harmless. My cat makes angry faces all the time.

#18 ·
A betta bite is not bad.. it may startle you yes, but that was probably all it was.

I was bitten by my (at the time) 3 and 1/2 foot long silver arowana... I was cleaning the tank because everything was green and I didn't realize he was patiently waiting to pounce. I had both my arms in the tank and he got me near my elbow... boy did I scream and there was blood... That was the last time I stuck my hands in his tank and was a "lessons learned" to not wait 3 days before a water change and cleaning. LOL

#19 ·
My CT used to jump out of the water at my hand before he went blind. He never bit me, but once he jumped so high that he actually hit my finger. It scared me a bit.

#20 ·
My big red boy Hollow has bitten me and i mean held onto the skin but it didn't hurt. Their teeth are neither big enough nor jaw strength strong enough to cause pain. It feels like a very VERY light pressured pinch. You honestly only know it's a bite from the pressure because otherwise I wouldn't have known he was latched onto my finger xD. He did it when he first started feeling better and decided to get territorial with me, his thanks for saving his life. It's not that bad. And a betta is HARDLY strong enough to even pull your finger into the water. What are they like an ounce?

#37 · (Edited)
My uncle has a stuffed 4 foot long one he caught in his office. It has some NASTY teeth lol.

My friend refuses to swim in the lake at my cabin because I made the mistake of telling her there were Northerns living under our dock :p

More Northern pics just to show you how big and mean-looking they are:

http://www.larrystaxidermy.com/images/fresh_Northern_Pike2.jpg

I forget where it is, but there's a natural hot spring where people with psoriasis can go and the fish nibble off their dead skin and lesions. It apparently can greatly improve the condition. This is an actual medical spa though, not the kind where they just dump a bunch of fish in your pedicure water.

#26 ·
I'm always extremely cautious around my betta because I don't want to get bit but the goldfish have nipped my finger tips on more than one occasion and sometimes they just head butt my hands when it's in the tank straightening things out. The goldies do enjoy practically jumping out of the water when I feed them. The pellets I have are sinking ones but they take a bit to actually sink and they just aren't patient.

#29 ·
Alacrity isn't too fond of my hand in the tank either. I get a little skittish when he swims by to investigate but he's yet to actually do anything. I know it probably won't hurt but I just don't like it xD My dog bites me enough during the day, the brat, so I really don't want fishie bites too.

#28 ·
The pike is one fish that scares me... I've caught them fishing before and they have a mouthful of teeth. It would reeaaaally hurt to get bit by one!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.