Betta Fish Forum banner

Betta names

2K views 40 replies 31 participants last post by  Pucky21811 
#1 ·
What's your bettas name? How did u come up with the name?

#2 ·
Neacco

I randomly came up with his name fits pritty well

#5 ·
Well. I came up with Tony's name when I told my boyfriend that I was getting a new fish. He made up a joke about naming the fish after him and well. It ended up happening. Once poor Tony passed away, and I got a new Half moon, I also named him after my Boyfriend XD Which he finds adorable. When I got Jem, I wasn't really planning on getting another betta, but seeing a healthy Halfmoon Plakat I couldn't say no to him. He seemed so depressed in his little cup, and his Jem like colors striked me. Then I recently got Scout, who I named after a game I play xD

#7 ·
Mine are named oddly:

Senator - because he's red, white and blue.

Assassin - because he has a black head with tight dark blue body and flowing red robe finnage. Also he does a somersault!

Honey Mustard - because well, he looks like honey mustard. He usually picks a corner of the tank and sits there looking at my wife working on her computer, but this one time, he darted around the tank in quick circles and then crash landed on the gravel with his face down. That had to hurt.

#9 · (Edited)
Teehee, programmer here also :). Great idea with the shrimp, but can you actually tell them apart?!

I've raised two bettas until now:
- The first one was named "Insano", because his face reminded me of a sad clown puppet that I own and has the same name. Sadly, Insano past away a few years back (his time had come).
- The one that I got the other week has been given the name "Ghoul". He is white with red fins, and since I'm a huge fan of anything horror, it was just a matter of time until I started associating him with a blood soaked ghastly white figure roaming the graveyard :D

#10 ·
My betta's name is Blau, which is german for blue. I wish I could find bettas with the colors depicted in this forum they are so awesome looking but I'll stick with Blau until I move back out of my parents and into a home where I can put up MUCH MORE TANKS!!!!

#13 ·
I do a lot of writing and named both my bettas (past and present) after two of my characters.

Kio was a kind fella with an extremely loving personality, just like the 'person' he was named after. Daichi, on the other hand, is an extremely narcissistic and aggressive...again, much like my character.

Their colors also played a small part in their names:

Kio was red, character has red hair
Daichi is blue, character has blue eyes

Oh, here's the translations for there names just for fun:

Kio ( 気男 ) - male spirit (loose translation)
Daichi ( 大智 ) - great wisdom

(names make more sense if you knew the story, they're both 'ironic')​

#17 ·
Very cool names...I also used to have a lovely purpal\blue betta named zorro* Rip 2008 Having animals around seem to help with lifes ups & down. Love my neacco*

#18 ·
Do any of u have fresh water plants in your betta tanks would you reccomend any certain kind?

#20 ·
We have Hannibal. He earned his name. Bit me about 5 times or more on the move from his ick cup to his clean tank when we got him. The name seems to fit ans so has stuck... And he bites any chance he gets despite his flirty dances.

He has an anubias floating about in his tank. He seems to enjoy it. Some nights he'll sleep up in it though he usually sleeps in his barrels or in the gloom under his heater against the side of the tank. It's a low light plant and pretty easy to maintain (so far).

#21 ·
I have many fish, only some don't have names. Funny, all my bettas do even though their the newest and I'm relatively new to bettas. Been raising guppies, mollies, and Cory cats for about ten yrs. My avatar is Irridescence, Opal is my white(opaque?)/gold male; Sapphire is my blue/clear hm butterfly plakat; my 3 sorority girls are Vermilion(vermilion/reds/greens), America(blue and red), Pewter(steel blue/gray and red). All the girls are crown tails.
All my tanks have live plants, some heavily planted. Most nubias, some Amazon swords, moss balls, some dwarf Lily bulbs. Very good article/sticky at top of betta bowls, habitats page on beginner plants. Tropical fish love lots of hammocks and hiding places that live plants provide.

#23 ·
Very cool.
..does plant life do well in a 2.5 gallon tank? I also don't like plastic plants. What other things should others know about fresh water plants?

#24 ·
My CT's name is Admiral Apocalypse. I used to have a red VT years ago named Captain Destroy so I decided to go along the same theme.

My Double Tail is named Winchester because I'm a HUGE Supernatural fan! :-D

My sister's Blue VT is named Jon Snow because she loves the character on Game Of Thrones.

Edit: I almost forgot my moss ball Tribble. (Star Trek fan also).

#25 ·
Ooh, fun thread!

Well my betta's names come from the cartoon Avatar: The Last Airbender. I've been a fan of that show for years, I just love it! Lotus (blue CT) comes from the word I picked up on in the show. Lotus's are so pretty too. :3

Aang (white-pink and red HM) gets his name from the main character of Avatar.

Sozin (yellow-orange and red VT) gets his name from a fire-bender (b/c he's red) from Avatar. lol

Kaito (all purple/lavender VT) has a Japanese name that means "ocean".

Seishin (white with blue fins, VT) has a name that means "spirit" in Japanese.

The last two names aren't directly from Avatar, but it goes with the Japanese language and names that are used in the show.

So yeeaaa.... :3 -Avatar nerd- =P

#26 ·
All the bettas I've personally owned (not counting the babies sold)...
Kisame -little brother named him after an anime character
Oscar -was adopted from our neighbor who named him after the fish from SharkTale
Abyss -looked like a dark blue abyss
Krystal and Jewel -remind me of gems
Aurora -another appearance name
Aroone -means "dawn", which his colors mimiced
Apollo -means "desctruction"...he likes to destroy delicate plants
Knight -looks like a knight in armor
Senri -brown like a bear, named after a manga character who was part bear

#28 · (Edited)
Techno- After the Wombats' song "Techno Fan"
Peanut Butter- One of my favorite foods and a cute name for a cute fish.
My sister's allergic to peanut butter, and my mom said, "Why would you name a fish after something that would kill your sister?! How would you like it if she named a fish... arsenic?" Lol, I wouldn't care. xD

I'm getting two more this summer!
Tsume- A character from Wolf's Rain. (I believe it's Japanese for claw, which fish don't have, but it sounds like a good name.)
Mr. Brightside- After the song by the Killers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.