Betta Fish Forum banner

really need to stop going to petco...

1K views 27 replies 5 participants last post by  Sabina88 
#1 ·
I went to petco to get some more stress coat and see if they if they had any omega one shrimp pellets. And of coarse i had to look at the bettas and the betta i liked a few weeks ago. He was gone and i would have walked out of the store without a betta..... untill i saw a poor little EE. Admitedly EE's arent my favorite but this guy was half blind as far as i could tell. One eye was white the other cloudy. I couldnt leave him behind.
Ill post more on it when i get home and ill take pics.

#2 ·
I did the same thing. Plus my petco has the bettas right next to where they bag your fish. So you kind of have to look at them. They have this really nice rose tail mustard gas betta. Im soooooooo tempted, but i have nowhere to put him! I see another tank in my sort future, sighhhhh lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

#3 ·
Haha Its weird. The store that ive been going to is new and has only been open for 2 months now I think and they have bettas in 3 or 4 different areas but at the other petco I go to they only have them in 2.

#4 ·
The one i go two. Has them in 3 or 4 different locations as well. Its so hard, i try not to look at them. But than i do and see 10 really nice ones. Only if i lived in Texas or somewhere warm where you dont need heaters. I would have like 10 fish rooms, or even a fish house lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

#5 ·
Im home now so I can do more of a update.
I just got him home and acclimated him and he's currently exploring. Though for now it seems like he gets tired easy and rests a lot. He's also breathing a bit heavy but that's probably because he was just moved into a large clean tank. I don't techniqly have the space for another betta but I couldn't leave him there especialy because he was blind. He's already really grown on me, Fingers crossed he makes it.
I also decided to test his water since I was cureouse as to how bad it was...... It turned dark green. Somehow I managed to loose my chart for the colors so I don't now exactly what number it is. Ill have to find that soon.
So with out further ado here he is. Sorry the pics are a bit blurry my camera is about to die so I wanted to take pics before it did.

How much ammonia was in his tiny cup:
View attachment 386514

Here he is:
View attachment 386522

View attachment 386530

#8 ·
He looks pretty good. He was there for a while i bet. Mine was there for ever. I remember just looking at the bettas and seeing this whitish old looking EE. Then around 3 months later i look again. And see this old whitish EE now blind. It was in the same area, must be the same. So i just had to have him, cuz i couldnt have him die in this cup. So now he has his own 1 gallon tank, i know it isnt the BEST for him. But it is all i can do right now.
Posted via Mobile Device

#12 ·
I don't think he was there to long. The last time I was at that petco was two weeks ago and he wasn't there then. So the longest he could have been there is 2 weeks. Thankfully it wasn't any longer then that

#11 ·
Thank you :)

It seems very slowly that he's getting a bit more active or at least more comfortable with surroundings. But then again that could just be hopping to much.

#10 ·
Yupp that's the master API test kit, thanks for the help OSD. Poor guy, after watching him I think he might have some form of SBD. I don't think its to to bad though luckily. I cant wait to get better pics of him tomorrow. He's got a really pretty steel blue body and dorsal with a pretty deep red on his fins with a bit of white edging on his ventral and caudal tail. His ears are mostly white with a bit of color on them, though it looks like his right ear is missing a small chunk :-(.

#15 ·
Agreed, but I think the larger problem is the fact that they live in such small cups. so the ammonia builds up like that, im betting it gets to .25+ in less then a day. It would be more practical for stores to give them each around 1 gallon. Though I doubt they ever would.

Im glad hes active too. I cant wait to see what he turn out to be like one he gets settled in and feels more comfortable. I cant say this for certain yet but I think they eye that looks white has no site out of it but the cloudy eye has a bit of sight I think so that's good.

#16 ·
The guy I bought from petco today was at .25 ppm, though I have no idea how long he'd been there. They seem to do a better job with bettas than the petsmart I used to work for.

That's good! I can't wait to see what he looks like in a few days.

#17 · (Edited)
#19 ·
Ohhh he's so pretty! His eyes might clear up. Daredevil was almost entirely blind when I brought him home, but warm, clean water cleared his eyes up so well he almost has full sight back! A lot of time disease can cause the cloudiness.

#21 · (Edited)
I remember reading about Daredevil, How is he doing? also do you have any tips for caring for a betta who has sight isues, especialy pertaining to food? I know a big thing is to not move stuff around so he can learn how to navigate properly.

I hope his eyes clear up too. I have hopes for the his eye that's only clouded.

#22 ·
Luckily no, that photo was taken with the flash on so it picked up on the iridescence on his fins. In this case it looked gold, but sometimes iridescence can look blue or green depending on the fish. I could be wrong on this but I don't think velvet or rather the fine dust that you see with the disease forms on fins.

#24 ·
Thanks so much for the tips. I currently only have Omega One pellets but I did actually see some New Life Spectrum at this petco which I haven't seen at the others. So ill have to grab some soon. Ill have to give that and tapping a try when I start feeding him.

Ive decided to fast him because I think there is a possibility that he has internal parasites. I thought I saw him poop and it looked white/clear and squigally but his pectorals blocked my sight so I couldn't really tell.

#25 · (Edited)
I need some help with a name for him. Ive decided that because I named my first EE(PK) Sparrow, I would follow suit and name my new EE a bird species as well. Though im having a hard time coming up with one. I was thinking maybe Swallow but does any one else have some other ideas? I also kind of like Wren and Jay.

This is Sparrow, I lost him to a hard hitting case of ich I think a little over 8 months ago I think.
View attachment 386938

#27 ·
All the pictures I took of my new guy are from the same day, the photo I just posted is of my male EEPK that passed away awhile ago. Unless I misunderstood you :)

Quick up date:

He seems to be more active though he still is resting a lot. But I have a feeling that its more to do with the fact that he cant see and he has to be carefull moving around. I was a bit worried yesterday because I thought I saw him flash a few times but I haven't seen any behavior like that since as far as I know of.
I also decided to feed him today since his tummy looked a bit skinny. Which most likely means that his partial SBD is coming from an internal parasite. So my plan for today is to do a 100% water change on his tank and while he's waiting his cup ill do a medicated bath. But I have to see what I have first since I think I only have a few medications.
As for the food, ive started teaching him that tapping three times means food. I decided to feed him 1 omega one shrimp pellet because I figured it would be a bit smellier then my omega one betta buffet pellets. He did actually find them and managed to eat it. The only issue with him and eating at the moment is that it takes him a few tries to actually get the food in his mouth. And after he eat he went back to that spot a few times to see if there was any more food so ill take that as a good sign.

#28 ·
Quick update

He seems to be doing well for the most part. Its clear he does have a bit of site, yesterday I watched him spot a piece of food on the tank floor and he notices pieces of food the are moving along the waters surface as long as its right in front of him.
Oh and he even made a little blubble nest today, so im taking that as a good sign. And I think I might have picked a name for him, either Congo or Kongo. Im not sure which spelling I like better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.