Betta Fish Forum banner

Almost ready!

2K views 32 replies 8 participants last post by  soleilvie 
#1 ·
My tank is almost cycled and I'm almost ready to start stocking my tank!

I just wanted to get a few opinions on which fish I should stock first.

I'm going to put Neon Tetras, Panda or Peppered cory's, and ADF's. Then after they're all established I'm going to try my luck with putting a betta in.

Should I start with the tetras, cory's, or ADF's?

#2 ·
I heard something bout the tetras and "new tank syndrome." That they "mysteriously" die off in an new tank (new being at least less than 6 months). BUt I don't own any, so ...

I see it as two ways: First non-shoaling fish, then shoaling fish, and lastly betta. OR

Shoaling fish, non-shoaling fish, lastly betta ? If you're going to put shoaling fish like cories then you might as well keep them all together from the start.

Get panda cories. They're cute as heck. :D

#4 ·
(Offtopic:) Dramaqueen, how much did you buy them for? At petco, they're $9.99 each (and unavailable at Petsmart). What a disappointment!! If I wanted 4, that's $40 bucks...no, plus tax. $45. Actually, more like $43.25. Yes, I did math. Hehe...

#5 ·
That's a ridiculous amount of money for a Cory. I paid like a dollar for my albino and peppered, but I guess they're pretty common, eh?

To Brancasterrrrrrrr: not that I know much of fish-addition etiquette, but one thing that makes sense in my mind is that territorial fish should be added last, obviously. I mean, that's why the betta is added last, and that's why it's suggested to rearrange your tank prior to the addition of new fish should your betta already have been living in the tank for some time (which is not your case). I can't see Corydoras being territorial, but I don't know about Tetra. Cory > Tetra > Betta seems like a dandy order to me. ADFs can be included anywhere.

That is my very unscientific, kittle-logic, two cent piece.

#7 ·
xxabc, teach me more about this "new tank syndrome". I wonder why Tetras would be more susceptible to it. Hmmm.

Can anyone else confirm this?

Also, I have noticed that Panda Cory's do run for a hefty price. I have also noticed that I can find them cheaper online but I've always been one to avoid the shipping of live things through the mail. How safe and comfortable is it really?

Also also, I've heard that cories might not do so hot if they're the first thing in a tank. Is this true?

Thanks everyone!

#10 ·
If that's the kind of Cory you'd like in your tank and are adamant about having them I don't see why not. I'm lazy, so I'd go with whatever is at the store. I'm also cheap. Sometimes.

Just make sure your supplier ships them in good condition, and quickly.

#12 ·
It's ridiculous, isn't it ?? Maybe your petco will sell them cheaper. Maybe. My Petco like...hates me or something.

I've only been told of "new tank syndrome" and saying how even some experienced fish keepers see dead neon tetras in newer (t<6months) tanks. That's... as far as I can say. Haha. But of course it doesn't mean "MORTALITY RATE: A BAJILLION PERCENT."

#13 ·
Bran, unless you have a better source, $10/fish may just be as good as you're going to get it. Express shipping (overnight) is going to cost you about $30, so even for 4 fish, you aren't going to save much even if you can buy them for about $2.99 ea.

Get 3 corydoras aeneus, if they are available. You'll see them adverised as "bronze" corys, or even "green corys". Most albinos that you find with be from this species, as well. MUCH cheaper than pandas, usually.

#19 ·
I was planning on 4 panda's but I guess 3 bronze will have to do if I can't find the panda's at a cheaper price. Aren't corys schooling fish? They'll do okay in 3's?

xxabc, I've heard the same about pygmies but I think they're mid-tank swimmers and not bottom dwellers like most people know corys to be.

#23 ·
Hmmmm now that I'm thinking more about it, maybe I should get albino one's. I know you said they're from the same species usually, Mister Sparkles.

What about peppered cory's? Will those have around the same affect on my bioload?
Peppered corys get to be about the same size. I think it would be fine. Oh, and I've had success with trios...while they are hard to sex, I would aim for 2 males & 1 female. Females tend to be a bit bigger with a somewhat deeper belly.

#24 ·
Thanks Mister Sparkle. I think I'm going to go with the peppered ones.

I think my tank is finally cycled! I tested the water last night and both nitrite and ammonia reading were zero. So I added more ammonia and hopefully the nitrites will be zero again tonight. If they are, I'm going to change out about 80% of the water tomorrow morning then test the water again when I get home from work and if everything is okay I'm going to begin stocking. I'm so excited!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.