Betta Fish Forum banner

Mark on head?

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  BakaMandy 
#1 ·
I woke up and noticed Orbit had a mark on his head. Is it possible he inflicted this himself? I know that there's a disease that effects Oscars called hole in the head--while this doesn't look like some pics I've seen, can bettas even get that?

I'm somewhat worried! He hadn't been eating pellets, so I was hoping today was my lucky day (where he would). And then this! Ugh.

#2 ·
Well, I've been trying to treat my fish with Maracyn+Maracyn-two and I've noticed that they're behavior is a bit more normal. I can't say the mark on Nya's head has grown any smaller, but she seems fine for now.

If your fish starts eating, I'd suggest soaking the pellets in Maracyn+Maracyn-two mixture. I take 20 tsps of water and mix 1 package of each into a tiny container. I then use a pipette and drop a few drops on a small plate and then drop some pellets in and let it soak for 10 minutes. I also use the pipette to feed the pellets to them, because I don't want to contaminate the food with my hands.

#3 ·
Where do you acquire that stuff? Seems interesting. He's pretty active, it's just the eating and the head mark that's bugging me. It looks like he just bumped it (prolly on his sherman tank cave), but I'll keep a very close eye on him.

#5 ·
Today he ate 1 pellet and 2 bloodworms. That's ok?

There appears to be a new mark on his, this one is above his left eye. It looks like a missing scale, and when I woke up he was pretty rambunctious. I'm hoping that he just hit his little noggin.

I have no idea what to do with this aversion to pellets; he'll eat, just not pellets, and not more than 1 of the Bio-Gold.

#6 ·
perhaps he is just he is just color changing and/or growing for the scale I really don't know, but it is very common for bettas to change color I think your's might be turning into a marble kinda like vikki's pearl (just ask her)

again I really have no idea whatis wrong with his scale

#8 ·
hmmmm I thing he is just going through color changing, I mean once I fed Lync and he eats sright away, but he just ignored his food. sometimes it is good to fast them once a week.

#10 ·
My fish had acquired a light spot on his head two days or so after I brought him home, but now it's gone. I was waiting to see if it would do anything else, but then I didn't even notice it disappearing. He also had a light spot on his chin for a day or so, but it too has gone back to a normal red color. My best guess with his chin is that he was rubbing it too much against the walls of the tank, but he still goes back and forth a lot - if another light spot comes in again, it might make me suspicious of illness. Perhaps your fish's spot will go away too! It would be amazing to be able to see a fish go through a color change, though.

On that note, does anyone know why bettas change color, apart from the stress stripe and paleness alteration? I find this really fascinating. :)

#11 ·
Oh, it's defiantly not septicemia. Septicemia is where an infection in the blood stream, and it'll usually appear as a red spot on your fish, hense why I'm worried about Nya since it's pretty reddish...

Although now I'm wondering if it's possible for fish to bruise, cause she likes to jump at her reflection i the plastic lid of her tank and bonk her head on it :/

Anyway, just check betta talk's list of betta diseases. They have pretty good general info on betta fish diseases... although if he's behaving normally, aka eating, swimming around normally and not lethargic or hiding... chances are he's fine :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.