Betta Fish Forum banner

My betta won't eat

709 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  dramaqueen 
#1 ·
I've just bought a betta fish and have been trying to feed him flakes. He will go to eat them but will spit them out. What should I do?

Also, how many times should I feed him a day?

#2 ·
hi

hi i have a Betta and its great how long have you had him? and is it in a tank or a bowl? i had the same thing happen to me he may not like that type of food try the pellets for Betta fish mine loves it and it just depends on your fish and how active he is and the temp of the water the colder the water is he may not eat as much i feed mine 2 times a day morning and at night and i keep my tank at around 78degrees i hope it helps[/list]

#4 ·
dont worry about feeding him the first day bcuz he probly wont eat.
if you want to keep him the flakes you could just keep feeding him a normal day's portion (as much as he eats in one minuite- twice daily) for a week. bettas are just very picky and he will get hungry enough to eat it.

if you are going with the pellets, 2 pellets twice a day is good.

#5 ·
Like some previous posts said, He is probably stressed out by the sudden change from the pet store to his home, and might not want to eat for up to 24 hours. And flakes might not be the best form of food for him...
I personally would always go with pellets, and bloodworms as treats. Flakes tend to make the bowl pretty messy pretty fast.

All the best with your new betta!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.