Betta Fish Forum banner

Soooo excited!!

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  puppyrjjkm 
#1 ·
My dad told me today that he plans on getting his 28 or 29G (he's not sure which it is.lol) up in the spring. I've been hinting for him to let me start a female sorority in it, but he wants some type of shark that I'm sure will attack them. He said I could put a female or male in there. I wouldn't put just one female in there but maybe a male. Hopefully he'll change his mind and I'll be able to put 5 or 6 females in there. :p So here's my concern...I have NO idea what fish can go with females or males.lol I know it depends on the personality, so I'll make sure I put in one of my docile ones. Ok, so I'll put it in categories because I'm not sure if there are certain types that go with females than males.

Here are the different scenarios.lol

1. One female in the tank

2. 5 or 6 females in the tank

3. One male in the tank

Thanks for the help! :)

#2 ·
Well, I'd suggest 5-6 females. :p Of course, then you could have MORE fish. :D Hahaha

You could also have some Cory cats. (fun little guys!!!!) a mystery snail or two... seriously, you have Sooooo many options with a tank that size! I'm on the lookout for a tank that size too. (Shhh.... don't tell my mom please)

So you could have:

Zebra danios (possibly)
Cory cats
otocinclus catfish (ONLY if you have an algae problem)
Mystery snails (They are Soooooo fun to watch! I love my snail)
Guppies? Some bettas can live with them, some can't.

^ these are just your options. I wouldn't put ALL these fish in the tank.

#3 ·
I have a 29 gallon tank :) I love it! I first had a community, went to a sorority, and it is currently divided for my 5 males. If your dad insists on a shark you may still be able to have a sorority in it. My 5 girls are now in the 50 gallon community tank that includes an albino rainbow shark. He mainly hides in a rock pile we have. When he comes out at feeding he occasionally chases after whoever gets too close but has never hurt anyone. I'm pretty sure rainbow sharks are the most social out of all the sharks, bala and red tails being fairly aggressive. You may also want to do some more research before, but just thought you'd like to hear how it worked for me :) Good luck with the new tank!

#4 ·
A 29 gallon would be pretty small for a shark anyway...I think Bala sharks need 120 gallons when they're grown? Not usre about the other ones, but I know red tails are also pretty aggressive.

You could consider getting kuhli loaches. I think they're adorable! They stay at the bottom, but you'll need to get a few of them. They're peaceful from what I've heard.

#5 ·
Not Bala sharks, I think he was talking about red tails. I don't think he'll want to get any of those fish that you guys suggested, because he's never had them before. But, I'll keep researching it. He loves having angel fish and I know that's a definite no with bettas. He also has to run it past my mom again.haha I told him good luck with that. :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.