Betta Fish Forum banner

Help preventing fin rot

784 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  tdedolph 
#1 ·
I have two bettas in a divided ten gallon tank, and they keep getting fin rot. I know that fin rot is caused by bacteria in dirty water, so I always try to keep my tank as clean as possible. I do a 50% water change weekly, vacuum the gravel, rinse the plants, rinse filter media in old tank water, add betta safe and aquarium salt, check the ph and make needed adjustments, make sure the water is the same temperature as before, and add my bettas.

I think the problem is from my gravel not being cleaned thoroughly enough. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can keep a cleaner tank or clean my gravel better?

#6 ·
If they're plastic plants with sharp pointy edges, they will surely rip your fish's fins. Betta fish have fins that are as fragile as tissue paper, so anything sharp will snag and rip them ): So your betta fish probably just have torn fins. Take the plants out and treat them with some bettafix to help heal their fins quickly. Buy silk plants or real plants if you want to put plants in it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.