Betta Fish Forum banner

betta tanks on a partially covered windowsill?

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  homegrown terror 
#1 ·
okay, here's my question:

i know that keeping betta environments in direct sunlight is a BAD idea because it can overheat the water and cause unneccessarily large algae blooms. however, my family lives in an apartment with a balcony walkway to the front door, and that balcony is covered with a canvas awning, so there would only be direct sunlight coming in the front window for a few hours a day, when the angle is exactly right. i was thinking of lining our indoor windowsill with two or three 3gal halfmoon tanks or a 10gal long-and-thin. would this setup provide a dangerous amount of sunlight, or would the awning coverage from outside provide enough protection to make it doable?

#2 ·
I can't help with the lighting question my concern is with the sill itself. If it is made of wood be careful that it does not grow mold under or around the tanks. Maybe install a sill over the actual sill. I would hate to have you give up part of your security deposit because of any water damage :shock:

#4 ·
haha we're definitely not getting our deposit back...but at the same time i'd hate to rot out the windowsill and have the tanks crash out.

#3 ·
Monitor the temperature carefully bc you don't want boiled bettas!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.