Betta Fish Forum banner

Ghost shrimp in a 5 gallon

6K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  ChoclateBetta 
#1 ·
Okay here's the thing can I have the 2 ghost shrimp with a betta in an unfiltered 5g tank?

I had the shrimp in qt in a 1 gallon, and I'm thinking it will be soon time to have them join a betta.

I'm just worried that I never overfeed betta to the point that food fall on the bottom, I scoop them up, and I know ghost shrimp are cleaners and scavangers and I was wondering if I should feed them seperately, or distract the betta and let a flake fall onto the bottom for the shrimp.

Also stupid question, will the shrimp find the food :D cause my gravel is big and colorful and I'm afraid it might get lost between gravel XD

#2 ·
I think you need a filter because the ghost shrimp will produce a lot of waste.
I think the ghost shrimp will not mistaken the gravel for food.

#3 ·
No no, i mean the food getting stuff and hidden in the gravel. Will they find it regardless?

I thought shrimps had a very small bioload. At least compared to a snail, with proper water changes I do not think it will be an issue.

Also someone please answer about the feeding the shrimp question I put in the first post :D thanks!

#4 ·
The shrimp will be fine, until the betta decides to break them; make sure you have hiding places for them. Also, they bounce when chased, so put something over your bowl/tank
You could change the gravel if you're worried about it. Honestly, you shouldn't have rock or large gravel as a betta substrate anyway... They like to patrol the bottom occasionally.

#14 ·
I agree about the sensitivity to water quality; however, I have personally had the best luck in my unfiltered plant growing tank. I do regular water changes, but they aren't very big.
The shrimp in the filtered tank aren't as happy... they don't seem to like the current at all (I always turn the filter off at feeding time, and that's when they and my albino cory and a red wag platy get moving), and I've lost four already. I haven't lost a single one of the others. And, as I previously mentioned, none survived without the live plants.
I've also found that three is the best number for 10 gallons... that's just my opinion, though.

#20 ·
They are 8e I got one just now its pretty much 10,2 dollars but they gave me a big one that i can divide. I bought sand, a filter for my pther betta and anubias + another plant i cant remeber their name. I found someone on the net willing to meet with me to sell me java moss in exchange of my nerite snails :3

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.