Betta Fish Forum banner

Done with Betta

6K views 75 replies 27 participants last post by  Hadoken Kitty 
#1 ·
I want to know who wants my other two fish right now because I am giving them away.

I am done with betta fish for good, today while cleaning out my tank the gravel vac sucked up my first and most loved fish Aquarius and now he's gone. I can't deal with this anymore, I want to know who in MN wants these fish, I also have an adf and two snails, tanks come with all.

I can't even look at them after i know I murdered the one fish I loved the most, the one who was special to me, I can't even look at them without gagging and hatting myself. I am so done with fish, with everything.

#3 ·
Aw! Please dont be so down on yourself!!!! It was an accident, it happens. You feel horrible, but you move foreward and learn better from it.

I myself have accidently dropped one of mine down the sink drain during a water change, with no possible way to get her out. I felt horrible about it just like you do. I cried over it for a few days, but I learned from it, and now I'm an even better fish mommy.

I really hope you dont quit. Its a horribly thing that happened, but you shouldnt quit.

#4 · (Edited)
so sorry lady.that's terrible. you're dealing with so much. bella, now this. totally not f$%^&#@ fair. it's really hard to not give up when you have feelings of guilt like this. i once dropped a 10 gallon on my favorite hamster and killed him. still feel bad about it. but i didn't give up,because it was accidental.try not to punish yourself.you didn't do it intentionally.i hope you don't give up.if this is your final decision , i totally understand. if you really want to give them up, i'm in mn. i may be able to take them if you can't find anyone. would have to ask the family first. try not to do anything hasty.take care.

#5 ·
I destroyed my gravel vac, ripped it apart and cut up my hands destroying that trash, I can't say I agree that anyone uses them, the risk is too high unless you remove all your fish from the tank, you look away for a second and everything you love is gone. I'll never forgive myself for what happened to Aquarius. I had secret plans to breed him this summer, not because he had the best fins in the world but because his color was so beautiful and more than anything he was a truly person loving fish unlike my others. He loved sitting in my hands, he danced when he saw me, he watched youtube video's with me, he helped my depression so much and his last moments of life, his suffering were all my fault. I can never get his cute face out of my head, his eyes were so big and happy. I honestly don't deserve fish for what I did. Mistake or not it cost a life I held dear to me.

#6 ·
Really sorry to hear that. :-( Hope you change your mind about quitting though.

Can I ask, what gravel vac were you using?
Curious because I've had goldfish swim all the way up one and swim back down without problem. In my experience suction on those things is very weak.

#7 ·
I don't know what brand it was, I destroyed it. I think it was Aqueon but not sure. It was the manual one too and it sucked stuff up pretty hard. The vacume ended up ripping all his scales off one side and sucked his insides out. I tried to stop it, unplugged the head from the hose and he fell out but it was too late.

Just before it happened he was rubbing on my hand and doing his happy dance. I feel I betrayed him. I feel like the worst fish owner ever. I should have never gotten back into fish.

#8 · (Edited)
Oh hun. I'm sorry. If I lives closer, I would come over just to give you a big hug! :cry:

Is there any way you can give yourself a day or 2 to greeve before you make your final decision? You are such a good fishkeeper and I would hate for you to make a rash decision.

PM me if you want to talk okay? And if the decision sticks and no one lives close, maybe I can take a few of your babies on in my tank (if I can borrow shipping money from a friend).

I know it's corny, but I wanted to trade snails and plants with you one day Vic. Remember? You wanted to be the very 1st person to get Mysterys from me if they had babies. And you are a snail nut, just like me. Please don't let it eat you up inside :cry:

Also, I have depression too, but my doctor found out that I suffered from a severe deficiancy (sp?) of B vitamins which mimic depression. I take B Complex and a Sublingual B12 pill every day along with my meds and I noticed improvements in less than a week! It's worth a shot :-(

#11 ·
I agree. Give it some time to settle a bit before you make any big decisions.

Yep. I have an aqueon with a hand pump. Barely gets the poo off the sand. And it has a little plastic grate that keeps much from getting through.

#13 ·
I just read this, then went away, then came back. I couldn't get you out of my mind. I'm sure you are an amazing betta mom, maybe you could give it some time. This was not your fault, and don't let yourself think that. Aquarius was so lucky to have know real love from you, unlike other betta's that are kept in tiny, cold, dirty conditions for their entire lives. I wont tell you what to do, but I think that giving time before you make decisions might be good.

#14 ·
Things happen, please don't beat yourself up.

When I was about 13 I had a betta that was in a cup because I was cleaning his tank. I forgot all about the tank and my fish because I had to do some dishes, dinner and laundry. My dad was wrapping up the dinner dishes and knocked the cup off the counter. He said to me "Was there something in this cup?" And I forgot so I said "No" (Side note: MY DAD KNEW MY FISH WAS IN THERE ...) And so my betta dried up on the floor when I found him the next day.

Recently my mom dropped off her dog to my house while she was doing some shopping. My BF Alex, got my a BEAUTIFUL silver metallic CTEE from WALMART of all places okay? And I was doing water changes and he was the last one to go into his new tank. Well, Ebony climbed up my dresser and she knocked his cup down, and she ripped the lid off and drank all his water and ate my baby up. I felt really really horrible knowing he was digested most likely ALIVE!!! Okay? I felt SO awful... But I refuse to give up betta keeping. I just love them too much.

Please think it over and I hope you don't get out of betta keeping. It's a wonderful hobby and now you know to be more careful like I know to NEVER leave betta cups on my dresser, they go IN my dresser now until I can place them into a tank.

It'll be okay.. It's sad but time heals all wounds. You may cry time after time for your loss but you've learned now.

Please think it over.

#15 ·
I don't know what to do about Bilbo Froggins Aquarius's tank mate, he won't come out of hiding, he won't eat, he won't move. I think he's in shock. He doesn't do good alone and my other two fish are either too aggressive or too small to be with him.

#17 ·
I agree with the post above me.. Defiantly get him a tank mate to reduce his stress.

#16 ·
Then for his sake, see if you can find him a tankmate. Maybe go by all the places that carry fish tomorrow and see if you can find someone who calls to you. I'm not saying keep him or her for good, just maybe for now and make them a package deal for whoever wants them.
Posted via Mobile Device

#19 · (Edited)
How big is the tank? Either way, why not go with a little female Betta? Short fins so no worries about Mr. Bil mistaking her tail for a treat and many are less agressive than males. I have read that CT can be a bit more agressive than the others, but that's just from forums and blogs.

Also, sent you a PM. My phone has a time limit, so if I don't press send, I get disconnected. Makes posting a pain as I have to go back and edit. PMs also are a bit cumbersome as I usually must send several. If I will have to edit a post or send another PM, I usually end it with brb. I just wanted you to know why my posts come out so weird sometimes :oops:
Posted via Mobile Device

#21 ·
Plenty of room for a little miss then! And all the plants too keep it nice and proper. What do you think Vic? Would a girl work?
Posted via Mobile Device

#22 ·
I had prior been planning a sorority tank for my 10 gallon and hunting for females. Only girls on aquabids have jumped out at me but I am trying to spend money wisely because right now I am paying a fortune in live plants to make sure the 10 gallon was planted heavily before getting more girls. I don't know...my mother wants to take me to a betta shop tomorrow and see if replacing Aquarius would help me but honestly...you can't go and replace him. Just like you can't replace your grandmother or your father. They don't understand what he meant to me I guess.

#23 ·
I get it, but this little girl can be solo. Not a sororiety girl, just a buddy for Bil. Maybe even a mutt with no special colors or pedigree, but who looks at you and makes you smile. She wont replace him. She will be someone new to love and love you back. To train and talk to and learn about :)
Posted via Mobile Device

#25 ·
I sucked up one of my best fry last week while doing a water change. Betta can be curious and like to play while doing water changes. It was an accident that has happened to many betta keepers I assure you. Dont beat yourself up. You giving him excellent care. There is another fish out there that needs a person like you!

#26 ·
You could always give him another ADF to play with. Your tank is plenty big. I hear at petsmart they done have anything to do with ACF, so you wouldn't need to worry too much about QT with them...just a thought since it sounds like you need a short break from bettas for now.

#27 ·
I wish I had gotten to breed him before this happens, at least then I would have had some part of him with me still.

I'm going to try and see if I can find another fishy to live with Froggins. He's still wedged under the temple Aquarius use to occupy and wont move even if I offer food. I hope he will be alright over the night.

I was driven in my grief to listen to one of my favorite soundtracks and came up with these from two songs on it. He Lives in You and Shadowland from the Lion King musical.

I felt compelled to make that sitting in my room screaming and crying. I started listening to my Lion King sountrack (the musical) when Simba is mourning over his fathers death and doesn't want to go back to pride rock until he is reminded Mufasa isn't dead because he lives on through him. His strength, his memory, and his spirit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.