Betta Fish Forum banner

A betta roleplay!

38K views 721 replies 26 participants last post by  jona31 
#1 ·
So... I have been wanting to start a betta RP for a while now... :)

The basic storyline is that betta breeders are releasing their captive-bred bettas into the rice paddies of Thailand, because the fish market is no longer profitable. We are those bettas. We have no idea how to survive on our own, and must overcome the dangers of life in the wild. You can be any tail type, color or breed of betta that you want.

Please only have five characters maximum. Here is the form:

Name:
Age (human years):
Breed:
Color:
Personality:
Noteworthy:

Here are mine:

Name: Olive
Age (human years): 2
Breed: Splendens
Tail type: veiltail
Color: metallic purple with white edges on her fins.
Personality: Jumpy, easily startled, yet friendly.
Noteworthy: ex-breeder.

Name: Oliver
Age (human years): 3
Tail type: plakat
Color: Lemon yellow and metallic white-ish
Personality: Regal, showy, but sad inside that he was abandoned.
Noteworthy: was favored pet of a breeder whom he was very connected to, but was heartlessly abandoned like the rest.

Name: Manny
Age (human years): 1
Tail type: halfmoon
Color: light blue with white edges on fins
Personality: Shy but headstrong.
Noteworthy: Has crooked back and was born without a dorsal fin. His other fins are pretty deformed.

We will start roleplay after we get at least 5 entries.

Have fun!

Saphira

See less See more
#2 ·
Name:Celestial
Age (human years):4 months
Breed:Splendin
Tail type:veil tail
Color:turquoise,with red fin accents
Personality:Caring,Leader,Strong,Kind,Extremely sociable,Calm.
Noteworthy:Saved from a Pet Smart brought across border from USA to Canada

#4 ·
Why not? Could be fun. :)

Name: Firefly
Age (human years): 8 months
Tail type: Giant HMPK
Color: Green copper dragon
Personality: Aggressive, curious, a loner
Noteworthy: Released as intended as a breeder but kept attacking potential partners

Personality:
Noteworthy:

#6 ·
A roleplay is like a story. You create a character (or characters) and narrate their emotions, thoughts, and actions throughout different situations. You can also make things (good or bad) happen to the group, as long as you don't kill the other players, or yourself.

Hope this makes sense!

Saphira

#7 ·
Name: Jensen
Age (human years): 6 months old
Tail type: CTPK
Color: blue dragon
Personality: Shy, timid
Noteworthy: He refused to breed.

#9 · (Edited)
hey can i add a guppy just to change things up a bit
Name:Neptune
Age (human years):1
Breed:cobra guppy
Tail type: like a halfmoon tail
Color:yellow, black, translucent
Personality:shy, energetic, comedic,contained
Noteworthy:saved from petco.

#10 · (Edited)
I've done stuff like this on other websites so I might give this a shot. This will be so fun!

Name: Basta
Age (human years):3
Breed: Splenden
Tail Type: Crowntail
Color: jet black with navy tips
Personality: Agressive, dis-trusting, suspicious
Noteworthy: Used to be used to fight other bettas as a champion

Basta is kind of a weird name but I like it. So when do we start? Oh, and do betta fish get along in this role play? Oh, wait only 5 peeps! Sorry about that...:oops:

#13 ·
Woohoo! 5 entries! :D

I'll start:

~~~Olive~~~

As soon as they poured me from my cup into the rice paddy, I darted away and hid behind a clump of plants. My body quivered from the drastic temperature change. They hadn't even bothered to acclimate me. I sensed more water being dumped into the paddy, and I peered out from behind my hiding spot. It was that halfmoon with the crooked back. When I was in captivity, his tank was next to mine. The puny little thing spun around, then darted behind another clump of weeds. A third cup was dumped in, and a handsome lemon-yellow and white plakat plopped into the water. I expected him to hide behind a clump of weeds like I and the other betta had, but he just stared back up out of the water, at the people whom he had once called friends. Disgusting humans. How could these creatures who had loved us, cared for us, and bred us just abandon us so heartlessly? My caudal fin twitched in annoyance. After a little while longer, I decided to rest for a while and settled on the muddy bottom of the pond.

~~~Manny~~~
My head spun as I fell down the arching stream of water from my cup into the rice paddy. As soon as I hit the water, I dizzily twisted around before my instincts made me dart behind some plants. Once there, I allowed my feeble body to float to the bottom. I lay on my side, my gills moving heavily, trying to get used to this new water. I lay like this for a long time, before I sensed something wriggle beside me. I looked over to see a mosquito larva, and I snatched it up. It was delicious, and after eating it I felt a little better. I swam up off of my side, and righted myself, before feebly swimming over to the edge of the plant that I was hiding behind. I nibbled on some algae, then wondered what would happen to me. Would I survive, or would I simply die before I knew why I was even here?

~~~Oliver~~~
I stared out above the surface of the water, wondering what my caretaker was doing. My gills worked silently to comprehend this new water, and I watched as my caretaker walked away without glancing back. I swam in place for a few moments more, before out of the corner of my eye, spotting a pretty little purple female betta peeing out from behind a clump of weeds. The instinct that was drilled into me by countless spawns took over, and I selected a large clump of weeds to start building my nest onto. I occupied myself with this task, and tried to forget about what had just happened.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Who's next?? :wink:

#14 · (Edited)
Well... if its ok I will go next...
~~~Basta~~~
Good Riddance, I thought as the humans walked away after they dumped me in... where was I? I had no clue where I was but if I was here I might as well eat. As I slowly chewed on some kind of smaller fish, savoring its fresh flavor, I caught a glimpse of some other bettas. I tried to make eye contact with them, give them that glare I gave all of my oppenents in the arena, but they swam away. Were they my new oppenents? If they were I had a feeling I could handle em'. They didn't look like they would last long, though maybe they were more than meets the eye. I felt a pang of pity for them. Wait, PITY? No, no no! This was the exact feeling I did not need! Pity, grief, trusting others- they all lead to death.

#15 ·
Jensen

"Where am I?" The young DS CTPK asked as he was dumped into a rice paddy, afraid for his life. "Holy cow, there are other betta's here, they might kill me." Jensen swam under a leaf, only his head peaking out of the leaf which wasn't good camouflage since his head was bright blue and shiny

#16 ·
~ Firefly ~

The sudden rush of clean, warm water was invigorating, even if I did splash into it headfirst. The change made me gasp.

The first thing I was aware of was space, all around me, too much space! I barged headfirst down into deeper, darker water, trying to get away from the open. Finding a spot underneath a buildup of decaying leaves on the floor of the pool, I looked around for the first time.

The pool was dimly lit, with floating plants above me. The water was a soft golden brown, warmer than I was used to, and richer. But the thing that threatened to overwhelm me, more than the space and the warm and all the newness of the environment, was one fact that echoed through my mind - I was surrounded by other bettas.

I stiffened my fins, puffed out my gills, and prepared to attack.

#17 ·
~~~Olive~~~

It had been a few hours since I was roughly dumped into the rice paddy, and my body was now used to the temperature and water chemistry. I had been feasting on the mosquito larvae that happened to wander past me, and I was ready to explore. I swam out from behind my clump of weeds, and was immediately greeted by the big lemon-yellow and white plakat that I'd watched being dumped earlier. I looked to the right and saw an enormous bubble nest attached to a floating plant. Oh dear. I did not want to breed! I'd lost count of how many spawns I had taken part in, how many of my fry I'd to watch be culled. . . I darted off, and when he followed, I spun around and bit a huge chunk from his caudal fin. That should teach him. I swam off as fast as I could, and darted off into another clump of weeds.

~~~Oliver~~~

I'd just finished my bubble nest, when the little purple female swam out from her clump of weeds. I chased after her, flaring my gills and extending my fins. She darted off. I chased after her, and suddenly she whirled around and bit a huge chunk off of my caudal fin. Ouch! I turned around and swam the other direction. I retuned to my bubble nest, caudal fin aching. I decided that I would wait until another female came along, and tried to ignore the painful throbbing of my fin.

~~~Manny~~~
It'd been a while since I was dumped, and so I felt that I'd have a look around. I emerged from behind my little plant, and munched on a mosquito larva that came wriggling my way. I kept swimming for a time, taking in the scenery. Suddenly, I came face-to-face with a huge green copper dragon HMPK female. She was flaring to her full extent, and I weakly flared back. I really didn't want to fight! She suddenly lunged at me, and I darted off. She followed.

Who's next? :-D

#23 ·
~~~Manny~~~
It'd been a while since I was dumped, and so I felt that I'd have a look around. I emerged from behind my little plant, and munched on a mosquito larva that came wriggling my way. I kept swimming for a time, taking in the scenery. Suddenly, I came face-to-face with a huge green copper dragon HMPK female. She was flaring to her full extent, and I weakly flared back. I really didn't want to fight! She suddenly lunged at me, and I darted off. She followed.
~ Firefly ~
How DARE this tiny male intrude in my new territory? Wasn't it bad enough that they made me share back in the clear boxes? Was it really so much to ask to have my own little piece of water?

He changes direction swiftly, and I attack from above, but my jaws close on nothing and I shoot past, puzzled. I turn to see that tiny flash of blue retreating, and notice his peculiarly humped back and missing dorsal fin.

More out of curiosity than aggression now, I follow. I'm much faster than the little blue oddball, and quickly catch up again. In my peripheral vision I see other fish flitting past. I'll show them that this is my pond!...but not now. Now I want to get a proper look at this blue thing. Is it really even a fish?

#18 ·
Jensen cautiously came out from under the leaf and puffed out his gills when he saw a big lemon yellow and white PK under a bubble nest. "W..who are you?" He retracted his gills and hid under some weeds and screamed as he became entangled in them, quickly running out of oxygen since it had been almost an hour since he last went up to the surface to breathe.

#19 ·
~~~Oliver~~~
I looked down at the pitiful little fish tangled in the weeds, and I felt something that I'd never had before: compassion. I swam down to the little fish, and chewed through the weeds in which he was entangled. The poor little thing darted up to the surface, and took a long gulp of air. Satisfied, I went back to mending my nest. My caudal fin was no longer aching, and I was feeling rather uplifted. I watched as the tiny fish darted back to his hiding spot, safe.

#20 ·
Jensen peeked his head out from the weeds, happy that the larger betta saved him. "U..um...Thank you for saving my life." He called out to the betta, staying in his hiding place, afraid of the other being hostile to him

OOC: I have RPed a lot of things, never thought of RP-ing a betta xD

#21 ·
Jensen peeked his head out from the weeds, happy that the larger betta saved him. "U..um...Thank you for saving my life." He called out to the betta, staying in his hiding place, afraid of the other being hostile to him
~~~Oliver~~~
"Erm... you're welcome." I said. This was the first time I'd spoken to another betta since I was but a fry, and I was felt rather awkward. I looked down at the tiny, defenseless betta, and knew that I could never hurt it, knew that it was my responsibility to protect it, and that it would never survive on its own.

#24 ·
~~~Celestial~~~
I had just been dumped so rudely into this large putrid looking rice paddy and all I could see were ugly mangled male bettas, I nip at a stupid guppy fry who just decided to approach me as he pleases how rude on his part, I decide to rip him to shreds, I let out a satisfied sigh and decide to find some females to flirt with while they bask in my ultimate glory "huh stupid females".

~~~Neptune the guppy~~~
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!! stupid female bettas always bullying me why dont they pick on someone there own size no one in this paddy understands me why am I the only flipping guppy in this pond. I decide to go and rest near an aquatic fern when suddenly a male betta comes out from behind that very fern I was going to rest by "oh god he's flaring at me" I want to call for help but I know if I do he'll tear me to bits what do I do.

#25 · (Edited)
~~~Basta~~~

I flared at a tiny little guppy, completely and utterly prepared to show him who was boss! " I eat pipsqueaks like you for breakfast," I snarled. But something... something stopped me. Maybe it was the terrified look in his eyes, or the way he huddled in a corner, ready to dart away. Whatever it was I couldn't do it. I nudged him. " Oh, calm down. I found a much better fern over there."
Gah. Basta, champions of champions, was now a softy. I see another betta flaring at the weird little guy. I look at him. He seems a wee bit too cocky, I think. Let's fix that.

#29 ·
~~~Neptune~~~
Oh thank you, thank you for not eating me what's your name well I'll tell you my name I'm neptune the cobra guppy there was once a lot of my kind here until all you big meanies decided to either eat them or run them away from the paddy I was one of last few left behind and now you guys torture me like im some kind of animal well I am an animal uggh you get what I mean thanks for not eating me friends?:lol::oops: I'll be your personal tour guide as long as you keep me safe deal?

#30 ·
I'm replying to olive

~~~Olive~~~
I peeked out from behind my clump of weeds again. The big plakat seemed preoccupied, talking to a fry. Wait, a fry? I would have thought that this fish, of all bettas, would tear such a small creature to shreds. But I suppose I was wrong. Suddenly, I came face-to-face with a big turquoise veiltail with red fin accents. He flared with all his might, and I flared back. I could take him, make him run for cover, just as I had done to the plakat. Or could I?........

~~~Celestial~~~
Oh shut your fins you fool I know your already second guessing yourself on your power and weather or not you can take me, with our two cunning strengths lets wrangle up a team of brave fish and venture beyond this putrid place what do ya say team?

#32 ·
I'm replying to olive

~~~Celestial~~~
Oh shut your fins you fool I know your already second guessing yourself on your power and weather or not you can take me, with our two cunning strengths lets wrangle up a team of brave fish and venture beyond this putrid place what do ya say team?
I glared at the other fish.

"I shall never team up with you, arrogant fool. I have had a better time in the single day that I've lived in this place then I ever had when I lived at the breeder's. You can do as you please, but count me out."

And I swam off in the opposite direction, gills flared.

#31 ·
Mind if I join?

Name:Yuki
Age (human years): 2
Tail type: double halfmoon
Color: white
Personality: friendly
Noteworthy: She is blind in her left eye

Name: Prince
Age (human years): 4 months
Tail type: crowntail
Color: copper
Personality: inquisitive, and a show-off
Noteworthy: he would rather give up his territory than fight another male.

Yuki:
The sudden change in water sent my body into shock, I floated in place wondering what had happened. A human had scooped me into a cup and I thought I was being moved to a spawning tank like I had been many times before, but this wasn't right. Suddenly a flaring crowntail male appeared in front of me, coming from my left. Startled, I took a quick breath of air and dove away further into the pond to hide myself. Safe in my hiding spot I looked around and noticed that I was around more betta than I had initially thought. I carefully looked around and noticed that I had swam into a hiding spot very close to a purple and white female and a turquoise blue male, both veiltails. I sliently debated whether to flee again, or remain hiding.

Prince:
A bit disoriented after being poured into the pond I looked around my new surroundings, I noticed more betta nearby and was wondering what to do when a pretty white female dropped in a few inches away from me. I instantly flared up and headed in her direction, hoping to show off my copper fins. I swam around her left side and watched dejectedly as she ran from me without so much as a second glance. I decided not to follow, and surveyed the surrounding area. Having never been in such a vast area, I began to explore.

#37 ·
I sigh. This tiny fish was in danger with so many hungry fish, so how in the world could he talk about... favorite colors and bloodworms? I admit, I was grudgingly impressed. I needed to be careful though. How did I know he was trustworthy? " I guess we just try to stay away from other bettas. You had a pretty close call just now, lets not have a replay of that." As of now I didn't want get in a mess with other fish. I just wanted to sleep. "You say you know this place. How about finding a decent place to get some rest?"

#38 ·
OOH! OOH! I know the perfect place for us to stay no fish have been there for years so thats were I call home its a little cave off to northern side of the paddy oh it's so nice and has a great view of the paddy lets go *darts off super fast* hurry up slow poke

#39 ·
I cautiously follow neptune and try to keep up with him. It was like he had a sugar rush or something." Your going to have to slow down or-" Just then I rammed right into a copper crowntail. " AHEM", I said glaring at him and began to flare.

#40 ·
Don't stop keep going he'll rip you to shreds if you even try anything leave him alone and swim away

#43 ·
Prince:
As I was about to investigate a particularly interesting clump of plants that I had never seen before, I surprised by a another crowntail. I instinctually flared in response to him, though I had no intention of fighting. Doubting that my half-hearted flare would be truly intimidating, I swam backwards a few inches waiting for the jet-black crowntail to make a move.

#44 ·
as I saw the fish sizing up his enemy also known as MYYY FREINDDD!!!!!!!!!! I decided to show him what guppys were made of I darted straight toward him AAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAAAAAAHAHAHHHHHHHHHHHH but was pushed aside like I was nothing "oops":shock::lol:

#45 · (Edited)
As I was about to lunge at the other crowntail, I was startled by Neptune randomly darting at the other betta. He seemed amused, then shoved him aside. " My hero..." I muttered. I decided it would be best to just leave, but I ways worried the crowntail would follow us so I bit into his fins quickly, just to show him not to mess with me. Still fuming from rage, from the copper crowntial actually DARING to flare at me AND ram into me I swam away with Neptune, who obviously wasn't very keen on our little encounter. I remembered him fearlessly attacking the other betta, and had to admit... he had spunk. He actually tried to fight... for me. I felt am odd warm feeling go through me. Oh no. I knew this feeling, had felt it before. There was no going back. Neptune was not so much as an ally but... a friend. I groaned. I had fallen into this... this trap once more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.