Betta Fish Forum banner

Housing Options DT and HMDSPK

356 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Goldibug 
#1 ·
I have a DT in a 10g now, he has a few java ferns areas, a marimo and a filter. problem is im on a budget. i dont have a lid, because i figured if it got down to it, i could find something to use. i dont have a heater because i live in south Florida and it is the middle of summer and my room is 80 degrees 24hours. my sister brought me home this HMDSPK and i dont have money to get a new setup so i was going to make a divider, do you think these will be ok in the same tank? im concerned about not having a lid and having 2 males. so i think i would have to get it covered. on another topic. how well does the bacteria jump start for the aquarium work?

#2 ·
A divider in a 10 gal. should be fine to house the fish. Keep your water level about 3" below the top of the tank to help prevent them from jumping out. I do suggest buying/crafting a lid though because bettas have been known to jump the divider to get to the other fish. I use bottled bacteria in my tanks with new fish additions. The brand I've used many times with great results is Tetra Safestart. Make sure you get the right sized bottle (you can't overdose so if it's bigger then you need no big deal) and follow the directions to a T or else it won't be effective. You also don't want to do a water change for the first week so the bacteria can establish themselves in your tanks substrate and filter media. This is assuming you have a filter?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.