Betta Fish Forum banner

Cat Proofing

749 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  jessiepbg 
#1 ·
I've got a 10 gallon tank with a hood and a cat who's nice and warm in the winter. Unfortunately, he likes to stick his paw in my tank and scoop as much water out as he can. I'm trying to think of a set-up to protect my fish from this ridiculous cat so I don't have to lock him out of my room. He doesn't care about watching the fish at all, it's all about splashing water. The hood is heavy enough to keep him from knocking it over, but there's two big open spaces where the heater and filter are. The best idea I've been able to come up with is wire mesh stuck in each hole. Does anyone have ingenious cat-proofing ideas or is that my best bet?

#6 ·
Lol, my floor would be completely soaked if I gave him something to splash in. He loves to just sit and scoop all the water out of bowls as quickly as he can. We finally gave up and taught him to drink out of a hamster water bottle because he wouldn't even leave anything for himself to drink. He doesn't have claws, but he's pretty ingenious. I've got a plastic needlepoint mesh over the openings right now and he hasn't been able to do anything.

#7 ·
I have three cats but only one tries to get at mine. I just try to set up ways for the cat not to get near it. I have my ten gal on my tall dresser with a lid to a plastic tub attached to the dresser blocking the way for the cat to get to the tank. Before that I woke up one morning and my cat was snoozing... on top of my tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.