Betta Fish Forum banner

Small Betta?

2K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  lvandert 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I was just wondering, I have a betta that's about 11 weeks old and is about 1 1/4 inches long is that normal size for a 11 week old betta and if not what can I do to help him or her (not sure if it's a boy or girl I'm thinking boy.) grow big and strong. He or she is in a 10 gallon tank with 3 platys and 3 neon tetras. It is filtered and I'm trying to get a heater. the temperature right know is 79 degrees Fahrenheit.

#2 ·
keep up on your water changes. I have one about that size and age. lots and lots of clean water and frozen, nummy foods.

#6 ·
cut out the freeze dried blood worms, those are horrible for bettas. I recommend buying frozen mosquito larva and frozen blood worms.

#7 · (Edited)
I agree. Mosquito larvae are known as daphnia, a good thing to have to keep him regular.

See if you can find "Grow" by New Life Spectrum (NLS). They are very small pellets which are very high in protein, great for juveniles.

Failing that, find a high-quality small pellet the first listed ingredient of which should be fish-like food.

#9 ·
freeze dried bloodworms are nothing more than the casing of the original worm with very little nutrition to them. I haven't heard bad things on freeze dried shrimp and other freeze dried things just those. Their like mcdonalds french fries, not the meal, just the fries.

#14 ·
Mo I don't mean to argue you but I will never recommend these as anything other than a treat. It's great it works for you but I still will not recommend it to people.
not as a normal food, not as conditioning food, and not as a staple part of their diet. If you feel I am wrong and you feel the need to prove it ask around, I'm not the only one that feels this way.

#15 · (Edited)
I'm sorry but I'm sticking by my Expereince, research and what the TOP breeders have told me. They feed freeze dried foods. It's great unless you don't re-hydrate it. Actually Karen Mac Auley, the GRAND CHAMPION of the IBC feeds Freeze Dried Tubifex worms. It is not considered a "staple" diet nor are the foods used for conditioning. Live foods available to the regular hobbyist usually aren't a good mix of staple foods as they are high in protein, yet lack other important properties of there diets. Blood worms, mosquito larvae, Brine Shrimp, etc. aren't considered a staple diet and I never said Freeze dried foods are. They are good for conditioning as they are high in protein and fatten the fish up. I feed my imports this food the day they arrive for about 5 days or so then switch them onto a homemade mix for my Betta Splendens

#16 ·
Difference between Frozen Bloodworms & Freeze Dried Ones

Freeze Dried BloodWorms

Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude protein (min.) 51%, crude fat (min.) 3%, crude fiber (max.) 5.5%, ash (max.) 15%, moisture (max.) 7%.

Frozen BloodWorms

Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein (min) 4.0%, Crude Fat (min) 0.4%, Crude Fiber (max) 0.7%, Moisture (max) 95.0%

#17 ·
Mo, I'm not going to be swayed. I refuse to say they are an ok normal diet. Maybe the ones you get are better but in general just. I don't want to argue. This is my opinion and I'm ticking to it

#20 ·
Ok. No offense but I'm *trying not to be offensive or rude. Yet you are "yelling" I just wanted to point out a few things. I am not trying to correct your method and never said you should feed freeze dried foods. I am pointing out those things so newbies or people not very knowledgable about this subject know where to go in the right direction and aren't listening to misinformation. Freeze drieing foods only removes the moisture and very little nutrition they are a more convientent yet very similar way of feeding opposed to live or frozen foods. I rest my case and will no longer yet you "yell" at me or provide any misinformation for anybody not knowledgable in this subject. I'm only 12 so I will not pick any fight with you

#21 ·
To be honest I felt I had to yell to get my point across. I said very politely many times that its my opinion but you didn't seem to listen, you just kept pushing your information on me. I said very early on I don't want to argue, yet you kept posting information, and more information. You've left me no choice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.