Betta Fish Forum banner

How often should I change 3 gal tank?

830 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  britishbetta 
#1 ·
This is a general practice survey question to you all. :) I've heard people recommend 2-3 50% changes + 1 100% change per week for a 2.5 gallon tank.

A 3 gallon tank isn't so much bigger than a 2.5 gallon. How often do you feel I should be changing my fish's water. I've been doing one 50% + one 100% per week; is that enough? too little?

What are your thoughts?

#4 ·
Before my 3.5 (it's actually a tad less) cycled and had bulk plants, I changed 50% every 3 days, religiously. 4 days is about how long it took to show ammonia on the liquid test kit (Cleo was smaller back then, too!), so I took it back a day to keep it cleaner.

Once a week, usually, I'd do 100% - but once it was full of plants and cycled I've had no ammonia show for a week at a time (testing it every day! still, I didn't like doing this..). I now change the water 25-30% twice a week and get 0 ammonia every test.

I guess it depends on the tank. For unfiltered, no plants, I'd probably stick to "change it the day before it's due to read ammonia" and test frequently anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.