Betta Fish Forum banner

What should I do?

1K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  a123andpoof 
#1 ·
At my walmart there is a female who has been there for over 3 weeks. Mostly cause she isn't that pretty. But I kinda like her problem is if I can convince my mom to let me get her, she would go in a divided 2.5g till Ryo moved. Then she would go in a 1g bowl. The bowl is heated, and she is small, but I kinda figure if I don't take her, no one probally will. So what do you guys think? I can easily care for one more, although I am going to be gone a bit in June and July. But someone will be able to care for them while I am away.
Also I have read bettas can go about 5 days without food. So does that mean their water wouldn't need to be changed either? Even if its in a 1g bowl? My grandpa will probally be watching the pets, and I don't want him to have to care for the fish to much. Just feed them once or twice if I will be gone for more then 5 days.
And this is kinda far into the future but we will be gone for 7 days in like sept. And Im not sure what to do about my fish then. What would you suggest?
Sorry for such a long post. Just kinda wanted to know your suggestions for that while i am away.

#8 ·
Betta Novice: In a one gallon tank, the feeding tablets would pollute the water very badly, and there is a chance the betta won't even eat it.

123andpoof: You can leave your betta without food for a week. Once, a teacher at my school accidently left her school-betta for 2 weeks without food during a school break. The betta was fine, just very hungry after the break. Your betta will be perfectly fine.

#10 ·
Don't use the feeder blocks. It's not a good idea and clouds up the water real fast. Plus I don't even know if the bettas would eat them.

Bettas CAN and DO survive for 2 weeks without food, so they will be fine. :)

#11 ·
AlienBetta: 1) it was an accident, 2) the betta wasn't hurt, he was just a bit hungry 3) It was during winter break so the school was rather cold which probably slowed down his metabolism, which made him less inclined to eat as it was.

I personally don't approve, but the betta -Redfish- made it through the break without harm :)

#12 · (Edited)
Just about no betta would go near one of those food blocks, so it's likely to do no more than pollute the water and possibly kill your fish. Plus, they have the nutritional value of chalk. Probably taste like it too.

I suggest you just leave your fish be, no food unless someone will be doing a water change to reduce waste. I have left my bettas a week without food, because I didn't trust the person feeding my cat to do water changes for me. When I came back, the bettas were happy as heck to see me, and their bottle of pellets. They just got a little hungry.

Point is, you'll be better off not feeding the girl if she stays in a 1g. The others could do with one or two light feedings though.

And, JKfish, that poor betta. We had a classroom betta when I was in primary school. His name was Bluey. He jumped out of his tank during the weekend. :( I think this was about 6 years ago though, before I started keeping fish.

#13 ·
Okay thanks everyone. I will have my grandpa feed them maybe once. Or I will just leave them. I feel much better knowing they will be fine while I am gone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.