Betta Fish Forum banner

Hurricane and Power Outage Concerns

769 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Pogthefish 
#1 ·
I live in NJ, and we are expecting to get hit with Hurricane Sandy starting Sunday, possibly through Tuesday. The weather storm tracks have my part of the state getting hammered with high winds, and up to 20 inches of rain. I searched previous posts regarding how to keep tanks warm and other fish care ideas.

What I am thinking and concerned with is if I should bring my Betta class pet home since I am not sure my school will have power come Monday. We may loss power at my house too, but at least I can keep an eye on him or what not. I just got him settled in his new tank Tuesday afternoon, would bringing him back to my house for a bit freak him out after just calming down?

I'm sorry if this is over the top for some. But to me, they aren't just fish, and I bet almost everyone on this forum can agree with me on that.

#5 ·
@ChoclateBetta Thank you. This is my first major storm with fish, so hopefully it turns out that I am preparing for nothing, and the storm won't be that bad.

@Leeniex, Oh no, I am sorry about your fish. We lost power for a week here too last year, but I didn't have any fish. t am going to purchase a large Kitter Keeper to use to bring him home, I am going to leave his five gallon tank in the classroom.

@Pogthefish, about the filter cartridges staying wet, I am going to leave the filter plugged in and running when I leave today, but take the fish with me. Should I float the cartridge in the tank just in case we lose power at the school and the filter goes out? But, since I am leaving the filter running, would it be bad to run the filter without the cartridge inside of it?

Sorry for all those questions, I am a newbie at this!

#6 ·
Be safe! I'm in NY and we recently had a bad storm in which power was knocked out (transformers explooded) and my fish tank lights actually fizzled out, but still worked.

I'm going to track this thread to see what to do. I'm thinking of keeping the filter off, as well as everything for those two days, but keep the filter in the water.

#7 ·
I would definitely bring him home from school today (Friday) if you can. He might be a little stressed from the trip to your house...but he will be okay.

You might want to fill some containers with water ahead of time and make sure you have a supply of conditioner on hand. Without power...you won't have water either. My Sparkle is in a 5.5 gallon tank with silk plants....I do not use a filter because he goes into total flare-mode at anything that is dark-colored. I just do weekly 50% gravel-vaccuum water changes and he is fine. Make sure you have enough water so you can do frequent water changes in your smaller tank without the filter.

I am in Dallas, PA and keep watching the storm track myself. Might not be as bad as for you....but....ya never know what mother nature is gonna throw at us :roll:

At least it is not going to be extremely cold outside...our homes shouldn't be as cold inside without heat like if was freezing or below outside....good thing I suppose.

Hope all of you Betta-Lovers in the path of the storm keep safe! :-D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.