Betta Fish Forum banner

treating fin rot in young fish?

423 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Meeples 
#1 ·
Suggestions on meds? I did a 7 day salt treatment. It doesn't look like his fins have gotten any worse.

Housing
What size is your tank? 1.5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 78 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? No, filter arriving soon
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your Betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your Betta fish? Was using Hikari Bio Gold and just switched to NLS
How often do you feed your Betta fish? Two pellets once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Three times per week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%, 50%, 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API water conditioner, just got Tetra Betta Safe so I'm trying it out today.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? 0 PPM Ammonia

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your Betta fish's appearance changed? Ragged fins
How has your Betta fish's behavior changed? It hasn't
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About 1.5 weeks ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Aquarium salt
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No but it looked like he may have had fin rot when I got him as a "baby betta"
How old is your fish (approximately)? Probably around 11 weeks.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
How much aq salt have you been using? Also what tail type was he? It looks like fin rot. How long have you been doing the water change schedule you have been using? Do you have any organic things in the tank? (old wood, shells) They could be rotting and adding ammonia. How did you test for ammonia? 0ppm sounds low for a 1.5 unfiltered.

#3 ·
I use 1.5 tsp for the tank. He is a double tail and had a pinhole in his ventral fin when I got him. I have been doing this water change schedule for the past month, which is how long I've had him. I have fake plants in the tank only and I test using API's liquid test solutions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.