Betta Fish Forum banner

Need advice on betta's

857 views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Assault0137 
#1 ·
i am going to be taking one of the test bettas from school home (we did an experiment and now they are being given for free) and i would like some advice for general care of the fish. i already ahve a tank picked out that fits my budget, and i would like some tips on DIY decor that will make my betta happy.

i know the tank is not much, but im trying to conserve money. Hawkeye 1 Corner Tank Betta Fish Aquarium - Walmart.com
i had a tank like this when i was very little, and i remember it having an under gravel filter. this one seems to not have it(it claims it does, but picture and comments complain there is none. and ideas?

#2 ·
it doesnt look like theres a filter :( but they have really small air filters for cheap. My little sister got a 1.5 gallon with an air filter and her betta seems really happy. She put gravel, a shell for him to hide in and a fake plant. I would say thats all you need. A hammock would be cool too. I bet he would like it.
You can look on craigslist for super cheap stuff too. That's what Ive been doing recently and there are a whole load of good deals.

also.. haha what where they testing on the fish for?

#3 ·
... I know it's not right to do so but... They were putting mirrors in front of the tanks to see what they would do.
Posted via Mobile Device

#4 ·
The tank looks nice but at 1 gallon you might want to look at at least a 2 gallon tank. Some under gravel filters will work short term then stop working. Speaking from experience by the time you add minimal decorations you will be looking to upgrade. I did twice and my 3rd tanks are 2.5 gallons. Believe it or not only having the 2.5 gallon tanks for about 2 months I thinking about upgrading again to 5 gallon tanks. So if its in your budget go for it and upgrade now.

#5 ·
I can get a 5g kritter keeper at Petco for 10.17 so I'll get that. Im lad I checked their site!
Posted via Mobile Device

#8 ·
can you reccomend a small filter? all i have is a 30 gallon filter

#7 ·
oh thats not bad at all! also the bigger tank is a way better idea

#9 ·
#10 · (Edited)
#11 ·
Firstly, you don't need a filter... if the tank is under 5g you don't need one.

You do need a heater... the house may be at 78, but room temp water will always be cooler.. also there will be fluctuations in the temp in the house, and anything too quickly and drastic will put the betta in shock and possibly kill him.
A heater will keep the tank at the right temp continuously and will avoid the risk of fluctuations. A 10-25w heater for a smaller tank is just fine.

The 1gal you picked out is JUST FINE. Don't need anything bigger. I would just avoid the bubbler as it may push the betta around too much.

Mirrors and bettas are just fine to do. In fact, people should be using a mirror as exercise daily for the betta (if the betta doesn't see other bettas on a regular basis). Three to five minutes once or twice a day is recommended to keep up muscles and get their blood pumping.

I would either get the tank you want (as you know how much you can spend and how much room you have).. if you want to upgrade then get one of the kritter keepers, a medium is 1.75g, large is 2.75g (not 5g) which are plenty big enough and easy to care for.

As for decorations.. silk plants, glass items that don't have those sticker type decals, ceramics that have been glazed or plain.. just make sure there are no wires/metal of any type. You can build things (like glue rocks on a coffee mug, etc) using aquarium silicone.

#12 ·
um, no :) they are five. convert 1237 cubic inches to a little over 5g.

#14 · (Edited)
thank you! would it clean a 5g kritter keeper well enough? i can get a 10i filter for the smae price, but i am worried it will stress or even suck up the betta. the 10i is 90gph, which is almost 4 times what i would want my betta to swim in.... If i get the 3i, i am planning to do 40% water changes weekly, so that mught help.

#18 ·
Anyone have something to say on rehabilitating the Betta? When I get him he will have been in the same tank for 2 weeks, so he may be in poor shape...
Posted via Mobile Device

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.