Betta Fish Forum banner

HELPP! Tail Biter?! [Pictures Included]

2K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  XSprinkleFaceX 
#1 ·
Finn had a tattered tail last week so I cleaned his tank and added AS and all. I thought maybe it was because of the filter, so I baffled it. All my plants are silk, there's NOTHING in the tank that can rip his fins now, and when I got home today they were once again tattered. It looks like a flag that has been in the wind for a long time. I'm wondering if this is tailbiting?
Also, he's been really agressive lately could this be what they call "blowing out" the tail?

PS. Not sure if the pictures are clear enough. He LOVES taking pictures to show off his fins...unless it's when I want to take a picture...he runs (well swims)...lol

See less See more
#2 ·
Weird... test your silk plants on panty hose, but honestly maybe its just growth? Maybe his tail is growing... but seems very weird... what is your substrate? Is the base of your silk plants FULLY submerged cause fake roots on those things are sharp. :( good luck

#3 ·
My substrate is gravel but it's very smooth. Plus he doesn't hang around the bottom. He usually sleeps in the leaves and on the branches of the plants or in his cave. The plants roots are fully submerged. Its liek a little rock thing that holds the plant down...it's not even roots. It's not tail rot because he's not acting sick or anything and the tips are black or falling, they're just ripped.

#4 ·
That looks like tail biting to me. How big is his tank? How long do you leave the lights on? What is your water change schedule like?

Sometimes bettas will bite out of boredom, sometimes out of stress, and sometimes they just bite for no reason (this is why generally people don't breed tail biters).

#5 ·
His tank is a 5G. I leave the lights on in the day (usually turn them on at 10 or 12) and turn them off at night (around 9-10). I change 50% of the water every week.
It's so random...he was so good until now. I re-arange his plants every week when I clean his tank so I don't know what I should do.

#6 ·
Start by keeping the lights off to see if he stops biting. If he's biting because of stress than a dark environment will help calm him. If he continues to bite try putting toys like ping pong balls and new decorations/plants in his tank and change them around at every water change so he can explore something new. If he still continues to bite then... welcome to the club.

#7 ·
LOL! Ok thanks for the warm welcome. I'll start by turning off the lights. This started when he started to become really agressive which is usually after he builds his bubble nest. He's been seriously ATTACKING his food, flaring and biting my finger and he's been so poofy lately lol it's cute.

What will the ping pong balls do?

#11 ·
Lol it does. I just want to be like "NO! BAD FINN" and put a muzzle on him (As previously mentioned) I feel so bad! and I'm afraid he might get sick or something. He's a really good fish and though I've only had him for a month, I've gotten really attatched to him and him to me. I know he may "just be a fish" but he has alot of trust in me and when I'm gone for the day and I come home he does this happy dance swim thing as if he misses me. We have a good connection. :)

#12 ·
I have 4 bettas total. 1 bites his tail. Apollo my red one does. I use AS after he goes on a "bite frenzy" then he's ok again for a little bit. Then the cycle repeats.

As for the happy dance, my Duke and Blade do that. "Apollo is just like ehhhhh whatever he's just that person that feeds me and takes care of me."

#13 ·
Freddie is my guy who is the worst tail biter and he's never gotten sick from doing it. Just make sure you always have clean water and maybe look into getting some IAL for his tank and you should be ok. Cycling the tank would really help because then your water quality would improve, giving less opportunity for infection to set in.

#14 ·
I didn't for these four bettas, but I'm buying an expensive halfmoon from Aquabid so I'm cycling that tank now (fishless).

BTW thank you for the ping pong thing! Its really funny to see them play with them lol.

#15 ·
Yeah, I found out a couple months ago that Charlie is a tail biter, it's weird to see him do it too. He spins in circles then just nips the ends of his tail. I bought a ping pong ball, it just sits there in his tank, I don't think he's too interested.
I also do the weekly %50 water changes, use both stress coat and stress zyme, also 2 teaspoons of aquarium salt, so every time he does bite his tail, it usually heals within a couple days, then he starts biting again.
I also do the weekly changes of scenery as well as give him 3-5 minutes of mirror time. I also bought a dimmer light.

So I've pretty much got all my bases covered, and he still bites :(

PS,
I have had Charlie for almost a year now.

#16 ·
Tail biting is common among long finned bettas, especially ones from pet stores. This is why many people don't breed pet store bettas. Some forms of tail biting are thought to be genetic so its best not to breed a fish that bites its tail unless you know for 100% certain that it was non-genetic factors (high filter flow, boredom, stress, etc) that caused the biting.

#18 ·
No i don't Kiara123. He's all on his lonesome. As for today he hasn't bitten his tail (crosses fingers) it looks like his healing. I've covered up every possible reflection on his tank...I think that's what it's been. Also I turned his light off earlier today so...that my help too. Hopefully he doesn't do it anymore. I still need to get the pingpong balls...Finn would love it since he's such a curious little fish.

#19 ·
This might sound like i'm atempting to be funny, but i'm not. The first male that i bought was a tailbiter, (rip scooter) i tried everything and more. Since the long fins are not natural, i determind that He just didn't like all that Junk in his trunk! it was always after it grew out that he would start biting. anyhow, good luck.

#20 ·
That's one of the theories.. that bettas don't like lugging around all the fin. IMO if a fish is perfectly healthy and in good form he should have no problem with long fins. That's why I think its at least partly genetic.

#22 ·
Since adding a big ole IAL to Senor Fish's tank and baffling the filter, he's completely stopped biting. His water is really dark too. I think he likes it that way. It looks like brewed tea. You could try this if the other suggestions don't make him stop! I hope he does. It's so frustrating!

#23 ·
I got used to it. I've tried everything under the sun on Neptune and Freddie to stop biting and nothing helps. Damon...well is just not growing at all. I dunno what is going on with him.

I've never tried IAL with Freddie, I'm going to give him one on his next water change. His tank is dark anyway because I leave the light unplugged (he is happier with just light from the room).. but maybe the tannins will improve his mood.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.