Betta Fish Forum banner

Lucky me!

603 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  CodeRed 
#1 ·
When I checked my old hex tank after not using it for years, I found that it had what looked like cracks in the sides and when pressure was put on the sides, you could hear crackling. :-( So I had to throw it out and get a new tank. Thankfully, I decided to keep the cover and all of the internal parts, like the undergravel filter and the air pump, just in case I found another tank.

A few days ago, while shopping with my sisters, they decided they wanted to go to Value Village. I kinda didn't want to go, but we all went anyways. I automatically made a beeline for the knickknack and kitchen wares section and lo and behold, when I got there, I found a tank like the one I'd thrown out!!!!!!! :-D Yippee!!!! I was so excited! It was just the tank and the base of the filter. So now I have a new tank!!!

What would be the best way to clean the tank before using it?

#3 ·
Sadly, it is a used tank...it would have been fantastic to find a new one.

Why does paper towel scratch acrylic? Would you use a cloth?

#4 ·
Ok then - for cleaning I would use hot water. Don't know about using salt on an acrylic tank - may scratch it.

Paper towel is pretty rough and acrylic (plastic) is pretty soft. Hence, the paper towel will scratch it. You can use a micro fiber cloth on it, or better yet, get one of those which scrubber pads made for acrylic. I have one of those and it does a FANTASTIC job!

#5 ·
Vinegar! I SWEAR by the stuff! Use only a bit, and rinse VERY well afterwards. It's generally said to let it dry in the sun, but I've never had to. It kills the bad stuff in the tank, and it's not as harsh as bleach... which you can also use :) BUT, that's a bit more risky and you MUST, MUST, MUST rinse VERY well for that. Using bleach I would leave it out in the sun for a day to dry and air-out. Good find!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.