Betta Fish Forum banner

Fry's fin is stiff

681 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  norico 
#1 ·
My friend has 17th day fry, and 1/3 fry's fin are stiff. I recommend they quarantine, and add salt. Is this good for add medicine ?

I am not sure how her information.
But she didn't water change a couple of days, and feed alot, then fry fin is stiff. Is this kind of fin rot ?

I heard guppy has kind of disease, but how's Betta ?

If you have any experience, please advice me.

Thank you,

#2 ·
From the limited info you've given us, it sounds like ammonia issues. I suggest doing massive water change - but not at once. I'd do a 30% in the morning then slowly refill (I use drip system), a 50% in the afternoon, and 100% the next day. Better yet, clean everything during the 100%. IME once disease get into the fry tanks, it's best to temporarily move them while I clean and dry main tank. Once it's ready, then move them all back.

I don't like using chemicals, specially in the main tank. But when I do, I don't go by the book. So I'd rather not say anything here as it may cause you more damage than good. I'd rather use lots of 1g quarantine tanks. This enables me to find the healthier ones and group them according to their health (not size). I often use salt and IAL as a first aid and see how they react.

I'm sorry about your friends fry and hope they make it.

#3 ·
From the limited info you've given us, it sounds like ammonia issues. I suggest doing massive water change - but not at once. I'd do a 30% in the morning then slowly refill (I use drip system), a 50% in the afternoon, and 100% the next day. Better yet, clean everything during the 100%. IME once disease get into the fry tanks, it's best to temporarily move them while I clean and dry main tank. Once it's ready, then move them all back.

I don't like using chemicals, specially in the main tank. But when I do, I don't go by the book. So I'd rather not say anything here as it may cause you more damage than good. I'd rather use lots of 1g quarantine tanks. This enables me to find the healthier ones and group them according to their health (not size). I often use salt and IAL as a first aid and see how they react.

I'm sorry about your friends fry and hope they make it.
Yes, I didn't heard infor my friend. She didn't email to me. I think so they have ammonia problem.
The Fry fin and fin reached. And moved 1or2gallon tank. She did water changed and add salt now.

Have you ever heard this case ?

I think it kind of fin-rot, and is it become normal fin ? They're only 17th day born. I agree that use medicine is dangerous for fry.

Thank you for your advice !
I tell my friend.

#4 · (Edited)
Yes, I've had this kind of problem - when ever I suddenly can't care for them.

The survivors should grow normally because they're still very young and have lots of growing ahead of them. But sometimes it's a bit too late and some of them will look a bit odd till adult. Not sure if the oddness is due to ammonia or other disease due to low immune system.

#5 ·
Yes, I've had this kind of problem - when ever I suddenly can't care for them.

The survivors should grow normally because they're still very young and have lots of growing ahead of them. But sometimes it's a bit too late and some of them will look a bit odd till adult. Not sure if the oddness is due to ammonia or other disease due to low immune system.
I see I understand that.
Thank you so much for your informations ! It's really important for my friend. She really glad and appriciate your kind as me.

Thank you !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.