Betta Fish Forum banner

Hydor 25 watt heater -safe?

684 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  FirstBetta 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I recently purchased the Hydor 25 watt heater for my two gallon bowl. I set it to 75, and had been monitoring it. Seemed to be staying with 74-76. Then on a hot day it hit 80. I'm worried about leaving it unattended, in case it keeps creeping up in temp. I frequently am not home, so I'm a bit afraid of my fish baking, or a fire starting.

Anyone have good/bad experiences? What temp do you set your at?

#2 ·
That's actually very normal, and for a Betta you want the tank up at 80 degree's. 74-76 is actually too cold, they are tropical fish so they need at least 78-80 degree's. 78-82 is generally a good acceptable range. And they can survive right up to 90 degree's or so and I've watched my tanks get right up there during this past summer and they were all fine! Granted a bit more hungry from their boosted metabolisms but no worries, 80 won't fry him ^_^ Even if it gets to 85 during the day, that's still very fine!

The things you want to watch out for are sudden drops so if you happened to do a partial water change, water is around 82 and you pour in 72-74 degree water. That sudden drop can cause him shock and potentially be very dangerous. So just make sure you run a glass thermometer under the tap when you're getting water, this will help a ton when doing water changes ^_^

With my 25 watt Theo it's usually set at 76-78 for my 3 gallon and stays at 78-80. For my 1 gallon it stay's in the same range. Right now it's set at 84-86 and keeps it right there since I'm treating for velvet and need the higher temps.

#6 ·
Yes, as lilnaugrim suggested, it would be a good idea to use a bucket and test what the difference is between what it says and what temperature it actually maintains. It's on the highest setting in my 10g maintaining 78, yet another is set on 73 in my 5g to maintain the same temp. I guess it depends on the volume of water needing to be heated too.

#7 ·
From what you told us I wonder if the room temp showed a similar (not equal change). An explanation for what happened is the heater turned off but the room temp rose taking the tank with it. Did you happen to notice whether the pilot light on the heater was on or off.

The best way to set the heater is to use a thermometer in conjunction with the heater. Set the heater to somewhere near where you want it. Watch the heaters pilot light when it goes out check your temperature, preferably across the tank from the heater location. If it isn't where you want it readjust the heater. Repeat the procedure until the thermometer read the temp you want. The only heater I've heard about that wouldn't necessitate this procedure is the Cobalt Aquatics selling for $56 dollars. Which is why few people are buying it. I probably will buy one as a test to see if it adds up to the claims.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.