Betta Fish Forum banner

Betta, but no bubbles

687 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Ayane Hajinmon 
#1 ·
I've noticed over the past few days or so that Beau has stopped making bubbles. There are usually bubbles everyday. I thought it might be the water so I stuck my hand in the water and it felt cold. I have a thermometer but it's reading about 79, 80 (unless I'm reading it wrong). Should I try a new heater? If so, which one should I get. the one I have is a Tetra 50w...

#3 ·
Housing
What size is your tank? 2 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 80
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? flakes, crushed pellets, bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish?twice a day, varying the food. He fasts once a week.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 50% changes every other day, clean the gravel with a gravel vac every other day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? just water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:.25
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His fins seem to have gotten a bit more stringy in a few areas.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?he does not create bubble nests anymore
When did you start noticing the symptoms?a few days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no
Does your fish have any history of being ill? not that I know of
How old is your fish (approximately)? I'm not sure. I think he was purchased sometime in August or September, but I adopted him in November.

#5 ·
What a lovely fella....

In the 2gal unfiltered tank I would recommend water changes of twice weekly...1-50% and 1-100% to maintain water quality and this will also allow him time to create bubble nest for you...

If you have a tannin source of either IAL or dried Oak leaf add this to tan the water and this may help to encourage him to nest as well

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.