Betta Fish Forum banner

Fuzzy tips?

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  JamieTron 
#1 ·
Alright so i noticed my CT gillian has some fuzzy white tips on his rays... i just noticed right now, i did a water change yesterday... hes acting just fine...I would cry if its begining stages of fin rot... cuz hes the only one i have that doesnt have it yet...

Chad just got some this morning.... no idea how... but he did.... his back fin is so straggly all of a sudden, i dont understand... so i changed his water and put some melafix and salt in :(

i donno i do wrong! everyone has fin rot!

#2 ·
Interesting. What are your water parameters? What dechlorinator did you use? Have you checked with your water company recently for any changes in water treatment?

Please be warned that Melafix may be fatal to labyrinth fish most especially. Just because it is safe to other fish, it doesn't mean all groups of fish should absolutely be fine with it. If I were you, I'd take Melafix off before your bettas start gasping heavily. Melafix can deplete their oxygen severely.

#3 ·
No i have not check my water company... I use Prime water conditioner for all my fish. None of my females have any problems, it seems to be only my males. All the nipped fins my sorority has endured have almost all healed up fine. Ive tried salt baths plenty, with no results... ugh. Its killing me. I just want my fish healthy!

#4 ·
Of course, fish with much longer fins tend to be much more prone to finrot. Finrot is caused by either poor water quality, toxic substances or bacterial infection. I would not try salt baths. Check with your water company for any changes in the water treatment. Have them compare this month and last month's results and see for yourself what may have caused them to suffer finrot if it happened shortly after your water change.

#6 ·
I used JFC on a cory catfish that got fungus, and it worked great, so that is what I suggest you try if it seems to be a fungal infection.

I've been having the same issues with my water and fin rot....my males would all get it right after a water change. What I've been doing is boiling all my water (over 5 gallons yikes!) before doing my weekly changes. Since I've begun this I haven't had any more problems and all my fish are almost all healed up, if not completely healed. You could try this as well. This is temporary before we shock our well, or my UV sterilizer comes in however, because my parents aren't too happy about all the gas I'm using to boil the water :/

Sorry, I'm not sure about what could be causing the discolored water.....wierd.

#8 ·
I've been having the same issues with my water and fin rot....my males would all get it right after a water change. What I've been doing is boiling all my water (over 5 gallons yikes!) before doing my weekly changes. Since I've begun this I haven't had any more problems and all my fish are almost all healed up, if not completely healed. You could try this as well. This is temporary before we shock our well, or my UV sterilizer comes in however, because my parents aren't too happy about all the gas I'm using to boil the water :/
Kim, this sounds like my guy. Do you do 100% water changes? And if not, how would the sterilized water help if the problem is bacterial? Wouldn't the bacteria just populate again from what is left in the old water?

I have a cycled aquarium and REALLY don't want to have to go through that process again just because of some cruddy tap water. Ugh!

Thanks,
M. Wu

#7 ·
Well i went away this weekend, for 3 days, and just got back 2night. I found the strangest spider web looking fuzz all in sawyer my DBT, and him floating at the top motionless. He was dead :(

My first death, I put his body in the lake behind my house. *Sigh*

I have no idea what it was that acctually killed him, he had been acting strange for weeks.... not really swimming much just sitting around at the top of the water, loosing his fins slowly.... Oh well. Now i can upgrade Desmond and put him in the 2.5 gal.

Gillian still has his fuzzy tips on his rays... what gives!

#9 ·
I am sorry to hear that about your fish :-( The white stuff on him could have been from decomposing depending on when he died over the weekend. Probably bacteria growth or mucous sloughing off of the fish. My roomates' betta passed away while we were in class last year and it only took a few hours for her to have a weird white covering as well.

As for the fins, I used maracyn...it worked for my betta, but it was bacterial fin rot rather than fungus. However, it does claim to treat fungal fin rot as well

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.