Betta Fish Forum banner

substrate questions...

555 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Hadouken441 
#1 ·
I have some beautiful plans for my tank when I redo it. It's only going to have a few live plants and mostly silk plants, But this substrate would look really pretty in my... lol... fake "real" themed tank.

It's something like these: http://www.amazon.com/Red-Sea-Flora...3?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1297242256&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Stratum-Substrate-Planted-Aquariums/dp/B004H1STY2/ref=pd_sbs_k_3

little balls of what looks like soil. Definatly not soil, definatly not gravel, sort of a wierd mix (More of a soil look than gravel look)

So first a few questions.

-I can leave this stuff in permanently, right? I don't care if the nutrients ware off, I just want to leave it in.

-Some of my only live plants will be swords. So this will be good for their roots... When do I have to start putting the root tabs back in?

-this kind of thing apparently lowers PH. Would this be permanent?

-how would I prepare it for the tank?

Thanks. I don't want anything to go wrong this time when I try again, so even though it may not seem like a big deal to most people, I still need to know.

See less See more
#3 ·
well if one of the few plants you're gonna keep will be swords it'll be great.

I'm not really sure about your questions of how long the effects will alst though. :/

Never used it.

Sorry I can'[t be of help and I hope you can find someone eith good advice for you. =]

#4 ·
Lowering PH is an excellent thing. I would hope it stays permanent.

That stuff looks almost like a different brand of ADA which is really good.

You can either give it a light rinse, then put it in the tank. The tank will get cloudy but shouldnt be too bad.

A more technical thing of that soil tho. It will have pretty big ammonia spikes for the first few weeks. This is good for cycling your tank SUPER SUPER fast but bad if you plan on adding fish any time soon. But with that soil you dont need root tabs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.