Betta Fish Forum banner

Gourmi's journey

3K views 27 replies 4 participants last post by  ringmybell 
#1 ·
So yesterday I went to the petstore to pick out a pleclosomus for my large tank, I bought one, and while I was talking to the clerk, one of the gourmis (about 3 inches long) was swimming weird and I asked what happened to him.:demented: She was super nice and said that he came that way. he was there for a while, and she asked the suprevising manager what they should do about him, and he said to adopt him out because they can't sell a fish that they know has a problem. So next thing I know, I left with two fish (I have experiance with this breed):shock:. Well his symptoms are bloated from head to tail, swims with his tail above his head, and has a kink in his spine. I suspect severe constipation. :xI had him in my large tank, but the gourmi I have already was banging him up pretty hard,:evil: so this morning he was moved to his own isolation tank.:redyay: He has been there at least 5 hours and no passing of waste.:cry: I tried a pea, but he was like a little toddler who wanted nothing to do with his veggies:roll: I will post photos of him as he improves (Hopefully, may be a genetic desise)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTtCUzMScMI&feature=youtu.be (Swimming now)

#3 ·
yes he is in a ten gallon right now. He dosn't seem to be in pain. I mainly got him because the pet store wanted him to live out his days in a real home

he is only in a ten gallon due to it was the only empty aquarium I had, and he isn't exactly swimming the greatest

#12 ·
Well I would say wait, but if it keeps her from living a normal life and she can only stay at the surface and struggles to swim yes euthanize is what I think. It is ultimately your call and you will always make the last decision. Oh and btw I know she wasn't a dwarf, I was just wondering what is the proper size for a dwarf gourami because I like them. Do you know the proper size tank? I really hope she gets better!

#15 ·
ok so I have an update! she finally pooped for the first time since I have owned her (About 2 to 3 days) and she is less swollen, but still having some bladder issures. Her swimming seems to take less effort now! I still have her fasting so I can empty her intestines. This is day 2 of fasting. I felt bad and fed her for a few days

#20 ·
it will depend. I'm still figuring that out. I don't think she will ever be 100% I have her in a ten gallon now, but in my 30 gallon, that gourmi was really beating her up. And I don't want that. She may stay in the ten gallon, I'll just buy decorative items, but I don't know yet

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.