Betta Fish Forum banner

What's going on with this guys fins?

3K views 55 replies 11 participants last post by  MattsBettas 
#1 ·
Yesterday I saw this guy at my LPS and thought his fins looked really crazy.
Anyone know what's going on with him? My only idea is that he's actually red and his fins are curling, but you guys would know much more than I do.

#4 ·
I've seen this before, many times. It's blood at the tips of the rays. He has ammonia burns. My CT was like that when I first got him. All he needs is clean, fresh water. Do daily water changes and add API Stress Coat to the water. He'll recover within a week. :)

#5 ·
It's part of finrot, reddened or black area's are both considered rot. Treated the same way with AQ salt and some clean, warm water as Kiara pointed out.

That poor boy needs a good home, I hope you can give it to him ;-)

#6 ·
I was hoping it was something easily dealt with :)
We haven't got him yet because I was wanting to see what was wrong first, but looks like I have no choice now :D He's certainly a cutie.

#7 ·
It's easily treated. My CT boy healed quickly from that. His fins will have to grow back a bit, but getting him out of that cup will do wonders.

#9 ·
THats what I thought when I first saw him too :p then I realised he probably had something wrong going on.
Do you guys think he will colour up yellow? There were quite a few his colour but we have a lot of bright yellows in the shops right now. I'm pretty new to bettas so I know bugger all about colour changes :p

#12 ·
You should know that the fact you can see his veins means he probably has Septicemia. It's a bacterial infection of the blood, and can be fatal. It should be treated with antibiotics. I'd recommend a medicated food, because typical medicines that dissolve in the tank are not as effective.

#15 ·
Are you talking about the veins on his body near his caudal fin? I don't think that's septicaemia. In lighter bodied fish such as this you can usually see the veins.

I agree that the bleeding tail is most likely due to ammonia poisoning/poor water quality. The fins of CTs seem to be particularly sensitive to poor water, more so than other tail types I have found.

I think if given high-protein food and clean water the damage on the caudal would heal up significantly.

#16 ·
I hope you guys are right.
We'll pick him up this avo if all goes well.
I'm in a bad fish zone right now, stayed up way too late last night trying to save one of my mom's angels who had a nasty hole in his side and is now trying to fight off an infection. I don't think he's gonna make it and it's so frustrating because we've tried so hard getting him to heal and now that his wound has healed he suddenly goes belly up from some unseen infection. I hope this new guy thrives, I could really do with some relief. :blueworry:

#17 ·
Aww ... :-( Hopefully he'll do good for you. Unfortunately, if he's still there, the ammonia poisoning will be worse. The pet stores tend to not change the water in the cups. I'm not sure about your store, but hopefully they take good care of their bettas.

#18 ·
No unfortunately they don't take good care of them at all... There were quite a few fish near him with gross cups and I've had issues with this store before with over-stocking and poor attitudes.
I would have taken him the day I saw him but I've had to wait until the tank I will use for him is free. Right now its housing 2 baby manx mice that were rescued from an unreputable breeder. They're getting an upgraded cage today which is why we've had to wait.
I really hope I'm not too late :/

#19 ·
Cute about the mice! Still, I believe that, if you had the money, you could've gotten him that day and taken care of him in the cup. That's what I did with 4 of my bettas. I ended up having them in the cup for a week tops, but it was worth it because I changed the water twice a day [I was a freak about it] and I made sure that they were healthy and cared for.

But, by doing that and using bottled water, I poured some water back into the bottle so the hole in the petco cup was uncovered by the surface of the water. Well ... I ended up forgetting about it and accidentally drinking fish water. It. Was. Nasty! By far the most embarrassing thing I did ... EVER. xD

#20 · (Edited)
I do have the money.. but I rescue mice and am paid minimum wage. All of my spare savings go to my mice, if that weren't the case I would have forked out the $60 for a brand new tank right then and took him but I can't afford to do that when I have 23 mice depending on me to be able to provide for them.
I know it doesn't seem like getting a tank would have been a big deal but things are a tonne more expensive where I live than in the US and I can't throw my money around easily.
I hadn't thought of keeping him in the cup, I will admit. In perth I've never had a store let me go home with the cup, they put the fish in a bag & keep the cup. But I could have kept him in a jug or something. That was stupid on my part. :( Poor guy.. I will be very sorry if he isn't there tonight..

Btw, LOL about drinking fish water!!

#21 ·
Plastic ware containers are great too for temporary homes! I use them all the time and a pack at walmart is like a dollar something, nice and cheap! I keep mine in cups as well when introducing to the sorority so they spend about two weeks in the cups but I change the water every other day, sometimes every day and they do just fine ^_^

#22 ·
And here he is!
His fins haven't changed at all. In fact, he looks no better or worse than last week. His colour seems slightly duller.

The room I have his tank in has terrible photo lighting so here's a picture of him looking very grumpy about his plastic bag. He's a super feisty fish.

Little guy needs a name.. any ideas? :)

#23 ·
Rodney came to mind and I've got no idea why lol

Perhaps Sunny, Sanders (sand colored lol idk), Sienna, Cadmium, Aureolin, Lion, Saffron, and that's all I can think of :)

#26 ·
Leon sounds great! Hopefully he'll do well for you. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.