Betta Fish Forum banner

Esmeralda has Dropsy, I have bad luck.

3K views 76 replies 6 participants last post by  Jexx 
#1 ·
Esmeralda has dropsy. The only sign of illness she had was that she has been hiding a lot. She eats normally and teases Galileo as normal. I thought she had been hiding because I changed her lights. I changed them from 50/50 blue/white lights to all spectrum. I thought it was too bright. So I changed it so she only had natural day light coming into her tank. I just did a 70 percent water change this evening. When I was feeding her, I noticed she was pineconed. There are no other physical symptoms. Just pine coning and she had been hiding but she has always been skittish. I have treated the tank with 8 tsp of epson salt and half a jungle fungus clear tab (nitrofurazone, furazolidone)

Tank: 5.5g
Temp: was 78, slowly increasing to 84
Heater: yes
Filter: yes fully cycled since February
Inhabitant: 1 female Betta
Food: NLS Betta formula 5 pellets twice a day (she is a 3 inch long female)
Water changes: 50-75% every 4-5 days.
Additives: every waterchange stresscoat+, once a week 5 drops of vitachem
Symptomes: Pinecone. Hiding more than usual. That's it. Her color is brilliant. She poops normally, eats with gusto, is interested in other moving things.

I guess I'm really just looking for support since I already know she has dropsy and don't know what it is a symptom of. No one could know unless they were a fish psychic since she has no other symptoms. I have already begun treating and now I wait.

I am numb. I have been having terrible luck with my fish and my life. Galileo was very sick for a while, he recovered after aggressive treatment with BiFuran 2. Esmeralda jumped out of her tank months ago but was fine after that. Sesshomaru got stuck for 24 hours behind his filter and I thought he would die. He was fine. One of my new Guppy ladies Boa Jumped into the filter and died Saturday. I lost my job in march and still haven't found a new one.

Can the bad luck end please?

See less See more
#2 ·
When Handsome Jack had dropsy I treated with Kanaplex, API General Cure, IAL, and Epsom Salts. If it's not organ failure the treatment will clear it up in under 5 days.

#3 ·
I don't have IAL or API General Cure or Kanaplex. I have Bifuran 2, Jungle Fungus clear (Same as Bi Furan, easier to dose) and epsom salt. The antibiotics in BiFuran are very strong and very good. Since I can't get Kanaplex, I will just have to hope this treatment will do it.

#4 · (Edited)
Epsom salt (to reduce fluid retention) and Jungle Fungus Clear (good gram negative antibiotic) are a good start.

Kanaplex would be great if you could get it, since it treats internal infections.

I would cover the tank with plastic vegetable wrap, if possible. This will increase the humidity, and allow her to breathe easier.

I would also slowly increase the Epsom salt over the next few days.

Premix a "treatment solution" by adding 3 teaspoons Epsom salt per gallon of conditioned water. (Shake/stir until the salt is completely dissolved.) Use this water to perform 50% water changes per the schedule below:
Day #2 - 50% water change using the treatment solution.
Day #3 - 50% water change using the treatment solution. (This will take you close to a dosage of 3 teaspoons Epsom salt/gal water.)
After this, do 50% water changes using the treatment solution every other day for 10-14 days. (This will maintain a dosage of 3 teaspoons Epsom salt/gal water for the duration of the treatment.)

Continue to add the Jungle Fungus Clear tablets, per the directions.

Also, Epsom salt is OK with live plants. But Jungle Fungus Clear (and other antibiotics) will often kill plants.

#5 · (Edited)
The jungle fungus clear says to do 100% wc every day and redose. When I was treating Galileo with the Bifuran2 same thing. Should I not follow those directions then?
Oh wait. ok so I could still do 100% water changes but half of the water would be reg treated water, the other half would be th e 3tsp/gallon epson solution

#6 ·
I am willing to mail some Kanaplex to you. I hate that it's a holiday though. If you want some let me know. It won't be the whole tube but enough to dose for a week or so. I just bought it about two weeks ago. I am sorry you are going through this I lost Nano recently to it.

#7 ·
I live in Canada though.. would you be able to send that through customs? I can order it online here in canada and have it in a few days. The problem is, I worry it will be too late so I treat with this instead.
You are so kind Jada, I thank you so much for your offer. I want to accept it but I worry it won't make it to me anyway and what if you need it again in the future?

#8 ·
I forgot you are in Canada. The tubes leave plenty for for the tank sizes we deal with. Customs would probably freak about a powdered substance these days. I was just going to stick it in the mail.

I was frantically searching for anything to save Nano. I was in the military in a medical unit and aquired some medical knowledge that way. I started looking at what they do for people. Maybe you will see or learn something helpful from what I looked up.

DROPSY & EDEMA (Description for humans but think of how it could/does apply to fish)

Causes, Types and Treatment of the Condition

As a general rule oedema is caused by some failure in the action either of the heart or the kidneys, and it is not infrequently a complication or sequel of infectious and feverish conditions. There are also strange forms of a neurotic or hereditary type.

Abnormal leakage of the fluid part of the blood into tissues surrounding the blood vessels is a symptom attending many diseases. Dropsy is not a disease in itself, as is very generally but quite erroneously supposed

Treatment Of Edema.

The treatment varies with the cause, and should be directed to the organ or system primarily at fault. Thus, in oedema due to heart failure, absolute rest in bed is of the utmost importance. Drugs such as as digitalis are of value. At the same time the elimination of fluid which has accumulated. in the tissue spaces is helped by increasing the excretion by the kidneys with the aid of diuretic drugs, and by the administration of saline aperients, causing loose, watery evacuations. In very severe cases it may be necessary to allow the fluid to drain from the legs by means of small punctures madc through the skin (see Southey's Tubes).

In chronic disease of the kidney, as far as possible all salts should be eliminated from the food, and the addition of a certain amount of protein, in the form of eggs, may cause the oedema to disappcar in a case which has been kept somewhat rigidly upon a milk regime.

The swelling of the legs which is associated with general disturbances, such as anemia or beri-beri, can be relieved by improving the general nutrition of the body by the administration of drugs such as iron, and by a dietary which is rich in the necessary vitamins. (vita-chem)

EPSOM SALT. Magnesium sulphate is popularly known as Epsom salt, from its having been at one time obtained from the mineral water of Epsom. It is contained in sea water and in salt deposits, and the present sources of supply are either this natural salt, after purification, or the salt prepared by the action of sulphuric acid on native rnagnesium carbonates. It occurs as small, colorless crystals which have a bitter taste and are readily soluble in water.

Epsom salt acts as a hydragogue cathartic, that is to say, it produces profuse watery motions of the bowels. It is a useful drug, therefore, in dropsy, as by carrying off a large amount of water by the bowel there is a corresponding depletion of the waterlogged tissue. Ordinarily, when the intention is simply to open the bowels, the dose is taken in about a third of a glass of water, preferably warm. This should be taken after rising in the morning. To prevent griping Epsom salt is sometimes combined with aromatics, as in the official compound senna mixture, commonly called black draught, and in the unofficial "white mixture." In place of the ordinary salt the effervescent Epsom salt may be taken. The doses of Epsom salt are: For a single dose, 120 to 240 grains; for repeated doses, 30 to 90 grains. The doses of the effervescent salt are twice those quantities

Suggest reading rest of article:
http://smokh.org/dropsy.php

What are Diuretics?
The term diuretic refers to any substance that helps to rid the body of excess body fluids and salts through urination. These can take the form of prescription or over-the-counter drugs, homeopathic and herbal remedies or certain foods with diuretic qualities that promote urine formation.

Whatever the source, diuretics help to prevent or treat a number of conditions including fluid retention (edema), high blood pressure and glaucoma.

How do Diuretics Work?
Diuretics work by making your kidneys excrete more sodium in the urine. The body then tries to balance out this increased amount of sodium concentration, by adding more water to the urine from the blood stream during the process of urine formation.

By expelling the excess water in the urine there is now a decreased amount of fluid flowing through the blood vessels and pressure on the walls of the arteries is reduced.

Which diuretics are used to treat oedema?
Oedema can become a problem in systemic diseases of the heart, liver or kidneys. Diuretic therapy can be initiated, often alleviating the oedema. The most potent diuretics are loop diuretics, so-called because they work in the portion of the kidney tubules referred to as the loop of Henle. The kidney tubules are small ducts that regulate salt and water balance, while transporting the forming urine. Clinical loop diuretics available are:
· Furosemide
· Torasemide
The doses of these diuretics vary depending upon the clinical circumstances. These drugs can be given orally, although seriously ill patients in the hospital may receive them intravenously for more prompt or effective response. If one of the loop diuretics is not effective alone, it may be combined with an agent that works further down (more distally) in the tubule. These agents include the thiazide type diuretics, such as hydrochlorothiazide, or a similar but more potent type of diuretic called metolazone. When diuretics that work at different sites in the kidney are used together, the response is often greater than the combined responses to the individual diuretics (synergistic response).
Some diuretics frequently cause an excessive loss of potassium in the urine, leading to the depletion of body potassium. These drugs include the loop diuretics, the thiazide diuretics, and metolazone. Patients on these diuretics are commonly advised to take potassium supplements and/or to eat foods high in potassium

So dosing the tank with Vita-chem would seem advisable. Also adding add Stress coat with aloe which helps to maintain fluid balance.

There food sources of Diuretics: For those who only require minimal fluid reduction, and who don’t have major health conditions, certain foods are natural diuretics and may be a better alternative to drug-based diuretics. Examples of natural diuretics are cranberries, celery, parsley, asparagus, artichoke, melon, watercress, apple cider vinegar, coffee and other caffeinated beverages. It also helps to reduce salt and carbohydrate intake and to drink plenty of water when on a diuretic diet. Which you probably can’t get your fish to eat and I am not sure what caffeine would do for a fish.

#9 ·
Alright so based on that I gather I should continue with the vitachem dosing and epsom salt. I could also try feeding her cooked egg yoke. As for the medication, I am torn. I believe the med I have to be good but I want to do the best I can for her. If I ordered from petsandponds.com I would pay 15 dollars for shipping and have it by wednesday. I worry though. Number one about the cost ( I have no job and I'm running out of money) number two I worry, what if it os too late and I've spent that money for nothing. On an opposite side what if the bifuran works and ive spent the money for nothing. I am so torn. If I dont get to use it now I suppose it would be good to have on hand. I hate that I am even needing to think about this.

#10 ·
I ordered the Kanaplex. I should get it by Wednesday if I am lucky. I hope she lasts. Today she does not visibly look any different. She ate with gusto the egg yoke. Weird thing though, when she ate it and swallowed it, pieces came out of her gills. That has never happened before and it doesn't happen to any of my other fish. I am quite concerned at that.

#11 ·
This is how she looked this evening when I was changing her water. Did 100 % change. 50% of it had 3 tsp/gallon of epsom salt. Dosed jungle fungus clear again and did 6 drops below f vita chem. Also 5ml of stresscoat. Fed her cooked egg yolk today. Of course she loved it. Her left gill is extend . But when I put her container in fron of Sesshomaru's tank she showed off for him breeding stripes and all. He immediately built a bubble nest lol. Even with dropsy she's a flirt.

Attachments

#12 ·
You are lucky it is not too far advanced yet... True dropsy (organ failure caused) is near impossible to cure so be aware of that. It's important to keep her 100% quarantined from other fish so this doesn't spread. Hopefully kanaplex will help, in the mean time keep up Epsom salts (I would slowly up the dosage) and jungle. Keep feeding her.

#13 ·
Thanks. She is very much enjoying the egg yolk. Luckily she is a piggy fish so appetite is not an issue. I am increasing the epsom salt over 4 days. She has 5 gallons of water in her 5.5 gallon tank. Yesterday I did 1.5 tsp/ gallon. Today I did 3 tsp per gallon in 50% of her water when I did a 100% water change. Tomorrow I will do 3 tsp/gallon in 75% of her water when I do a 100% water change and then on Wed I will do 3 tsp/gallon in 100% of the water and keep at that for 10-14 days. I am also dosing Vitachem 1 drop per gallon and stress coat+ 1 ml per gallon. The Jungle Fungal Clear dose is 1 tab per 10 gallons So I am adding half a tab after I do the 100% water change. I have hope in her recovery because: 1, she has not lost her attitude. 2, her color is wonderful. 3, the edema is not that bad. Although she is pine coned she is not that much bigger than her normal size. 3, she is passing bowl movements as normal. All of these things indicate that she cannot have total organ failure. 4, she is reacting well to the medication.

#14 ·
Also, I believe I can combine the Kanaplex with Bifuran/Jungle Fungal clear no?

#16 ·
Excellent. I received my kanaplex this morning! Before breakfast. I mixed it with egg yolk and fed her it. I intend to feed it for a full course. Should I also put it in her water with the jungle and epsom?

#17 ·
I did her water change tonight and added the kanaplex to the water along with the jungle and epsom. she had pooped a lot since yesterday. like a weeks worth. it was all very dark in color. some of it black. that worries me.

#18 ·
The Epsom salt is apparently doing its job. I wouldn't worry about the dark colored poop yet. It could just be from constipation, since the waste sat in her digestive tract longer than normal. If it keeps up though, it could indicate an issue. (In humans, it could indicate something like the presence of a bleeding ulcer.)

Yes, I would add the Kanaplex to the water, in addition to the food. It's OK to combine it with the furan meds and the Epsom salt. And yes, treat for the full course.

#19 ·
she was never constipated though... she has always been very regular and healthy in that respect. even before starting treatment she was still pooping normally even with the dropsy. now she is pooping way more than normal...

#21 ·
that is a good point to consider. thank you jada. do you know what name they sell that under?

#23 ·
I believe you can safely combine kanaplex, furan, and general cure but LBF would know for sure. Black feces often indicates bleeding in the upper gi tract in humans... I don't know about fish but it could mean the same thing.

Do you know if your girl could have recently banged herself (jumping, wc accident, etc).

#24 ·
You are probably doing this already since she is getting meds but be sure you are soaking her pellets so her GI tract is less irritated. I actually read recently that this is one thing you can do to help prevent dropsy. There are different causes of dropsy so it won't prevent all dropsy but it is one preventative and in her case just one thing to make eating easier.

#26 ·
first answer: Matt, She is a jumper. She jumps alllll the time. 2 months ago she jumped out of her tank onto the floor. I returned her to her tank and she recovered. On a reg basis she would jump when i was feeding her, not out of the tank but she would hit the side of the rim and bounce back into the tank. even when I made sure not to let her see the food until it was in the water, she would still do this. Now, of course, she is not jumping as she is too ill and just hiding. So all that being said it is entirely possible she has internal injuries. When i saw black feces immediately i thought internal bleeding. I've noticed, sometimes, when i feed her (eggs or frozen foods) it looks like tiny pieces of the chewed up food coming out of her gills. it doesn't happen all the time but I have seen it twice over the past 3 days.

I am not soaking her pellets, I never do. She has always preferred the act of crunching them. The past 2 days she has been eating cooked egg yolk. so that is already soft. yesterday she ate it for both meals, medicated with kanaplex. This morning she ate 3 nls pellets because she refused the egg yolk. I think she knows there is medication in it or she is tired of it already.

I added the kanaplex dose to her water last night along with the furan meds and epsom salt. Tonight I bring the dose of epsom up to a full 3 tsp/gallon. I don't know that she is getting worse at all, but she is def not looking better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.