Betta Fish Forum banner

Fellow aussies may be interested in this site!

1K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  Trin20kau 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, so i recently found an australian fish website whi ship all over australia. If your pet shop dosent stock any other bettas besides CT or VT you can check out livefish.com.au you can order Plakats, halfmoons, female
Crowntails and other ones. Im getting a plakat around july :D
Just thought some people might be interested as i heard (and know) that it can be hard to find different types of bettas besides CT or VT depending where you live.

#3 ·
I got otocinclus from there. One died after jamming itself between the filter and the tank but the others are still alive and well in my older brother's tank.

This was with my usual lack of acclimatisation in which they just got tipped out into my tank.

Their plants are usually pretty healthy and I have ordered from them lots of times in the past. While their range isn't as spectacular as somewhere like http://www.liverpoolcreekaquariums.com, I still use them when I want generic stems and crypts to chuck in my sororities.

#4 ·
Yeah the prices are pretty high, $33 to ship a plakat to WA.

#5 · (Edited)
Thanks very much for the link! :-D

I found an Aus supplier of IAL, which takes Paypal (I refuse to use CC's online). Very useful to find these places, for me, as gadding about town sometimes is not an option. They do supply Exotic Aquatic, so I'm assuming they're a decent company with a good product.

http://www.indianalmondleaves.com.au/indian-almond-leaves/

Liverpool Creek does paypal too, and I can see myself saving up for a few things from there.. yes, expensive BUT it has Hygroryza! (I feel a bit silly doing the snoopy-dance over floating grass, but it's so pretty!)

#6 ·
If it's http://www.indianalmondleaves.com.au, I purchase stuff from them and they are a great company to deal with.

I had a heap of that grass growing in my sorority as a nutrient sponge and it went nuts. My females loved hiding up in the roots.

Jeff has chucked me so many freebies with my plant orders, and all the plants I have received from him have been healthy and a good size.

#7 ·
Cheers, LBF, great to hear that feedback on the company. I'll definitely be a customer, their website has me wanting extra tanks just for plants! (madagascar lace plant? swoon.. one day, it will be mine!).

How do you think the hygroryza would do in a smaller tank? My only concern is that I'd end up with tons of it too quickly..

Yup, that's the IAL site. I'm ordering my leaves this week.

Livefish looks like a good site - some really pretty fish, I liked the red doubletail. And the white plakat.. I didn't see any wild ones. But I'm not ready for more bettas yet, and when I am I want my macro.. which I'd prefer to buy locally. Though maybe I'd start with a smaller wild species. Anyway, awesome to have these resources, it's a massive help!

#8 ·
Im thinking of ordering the normal plakat over the school holidays.

#9 ·
Very few places sell wilds. I have a few channiodes and strohi fry growing out, so if you ever want a pair of those it'll save you the cost of shipping/in-store purchase (usually fairly marked up).

I got some female betta females from Livefish.com and they were fine, very healthy and a lot bigger than I expected.

You just need to be aware that since you can't pick the colour for a lot of the bettas, you usually end up with the plainer red or blue colouring.

#11 ·
Do channiode mothers eat the father? After breeding?

#13 ·
LBF, can a pair be kept happily in a tank together, long-term? Do they breed like rabbits? And what size tank is best for a pair, minimum for comfort (I'm concerned about my ability to keep tanks over 10 gallons or so, for several reasons). I'd love to try keeping wild bettas, and am conscious that breeding is desirable (as opposed to simply having one as a pet) due to their dwindling numbers, but I'm being cautious - I know my limits and the welfare of the fish is more important to me than having them.

My other concern is that the ph on my water sits at about 7 or so - hence the IAL order, I suspect this is what's causing Sid's fin issues. How do you keep it low enough? Is IAL sufficient?

That all said - I've done some reading on them today, and if I'm going to start up with wild bettas, they'd be my choice for sure.

#14 ·
A male and female can be kept together long-term. They are very peaceful and I used to house my albimarginata (basically same thing) with some native honey blue-eyes.

Personally I prefer a reverse trio, two males to one female, as females are very much capable of breeding males to death.

They do breed like rabbits, which gets old after raising the first few lots. Nothing like daily water changes and hatching BBS. Mine have spawned 4-5 times already but I just left the fry in to get eaten as I ran out of tank space.

I do have 10-12 newly hatched fry in my grow-out at the moment, but this will probably be all I raise.

Channiodes and albis are a lot more prolific in the hobby as they are popular, easy-to-breed and raised commercially now I believe.

Mine live in a 9 gallon tank and I only do 25-30% water changes once every few days. They aren't all that fussy about water parameters, and would probably spawn in a pH of 7.

And sorry to go slightly off topic.

#15 ·
Oh their a betta. I thought you were talking about a fish that breeds by keeping babies in their mouthes. The mother eats the father and the babies stay in the mothers mouth. Lolz

#16 ·
What species of fish is it that eats the father? I've never heard of that before.

Betta channoides are mouthbrooders. The female passes the eggs to the male and he holds them in his mouth for around 10-14 days and doesn't eat at all during this period.

When the fry are released, they are slightly larger and more developed than fry from bubblenesters (such as Betta splendens). The male will usually spend a few days looking after his fry and then they will go off and do their own thing.

It's quite interesting, particularly when you see the fry moving around in his full mouth.

#17 ·
Im not entirley sure, my dad used to have a big aquarium when he was around 18/19 he said he didnt rememner the name but he said that in order to stop the male eating the babies the female
Would eat the male (he removed the male instead though) or the male would eat the babies. Tge babies would swim into the mothers mouth and thats how ahe carried them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.