Betta Fish Forum banner

Rapid scale loss.

950 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  kevinbacon 
#1 ·
Squirt has developed something on his head, and to me, it looks like he might have bashed his head against something. He's missing scales from the looks of it.
I don't know if it's from a acciddental run in with the tank decor, or if there's something else going on.
This popped up all of an hour ago.

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gal divided
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Another betta

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2-3 Pellets a day everyday

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Anywhere from 50% to 100%. Usually one of each
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water Conditioner and Ammonia Remover (I might stop using this because it's making the water cloudy and smelly)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:.25
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He has developed a spot on his head in which he lost a lot of his scales. Yesterday I noticed some white fuzz hanging on the ends of his tail, but I don't know if this is related somehow.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Nothing has changed at all.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Five minutes ago, but he was fine an hour ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Both fish are currently being treated with AQ salt.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? I've had him for less than a month, so I'm not 100% sure

Pictures:

His normal appearance:

See less See more
#2 ·
The white fuzz sounds like it could be ick, but I'm not sure. My fish recently lost some scales from his head too; I saw it happen. He got stuck behind his cave (which I took out, by the way) and freaked out. He thrashed himself free, but lost some scales in the process. Looks very similar to your pictures, so that's most likely what your fish's problem is. From the looks of what I've found online, they recommend keeping the water as clean as possible and using aquarium salt to help it heal up quick. Stress coat is also never a bad idea, especially when it comes to injuries like that.

I hope the experts will chime in soon... I'm curious as to what they'll say for my fish as well. I wish you the best of luck, and will be praying for both your fish and my own!

#3 ·
Thank you very much.

there is currently AQ salt in the tank so that's hopefully going to help, and it will hel Pudge as well.

I hope your boy gets better too!

#4 ·
He lost some more scales...
I don't understand, during the entire time I've happened, this hasn't happened D:

#6 ·
I use marbles, and there's no broken pieces :/

The skull is kinda the only thing to bang him up, but I haven't seen him in it since early this morning...

#7 ·
Hmmm. Does he look like he could be rubbing on something? The white fuzz makes me think he's got Ick like someone else suggested.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.