Betta Fish Forum banner

Betta cruelty?

2K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  Campbell 
#1 ·
one of the local banks (NAB) about 2 miles from me has a betta in a tiny vase, diameter 4-5 inches about 4 inches tall with a plant in it. the betta is a beautiful steel and red CT. you can't even see through the vase because it is so cloudy.

i am thinking about approaching them and giving them 3 options before i approach the RSPCA
1.hand it over to me and i look after it
2. they provide a 2.5 - 5 gallon with a filter and heater.
3. i go to the RSPCA and they get fined

for evidence i will be using this site for the care specs and testing for ammonia nitrite and nitrate

has anyone got opinions on this?

#3 ·
I wouldn't mention RSPCA right away. Just be like "Hey, I noticed you have a beta was wondering if you wanted a care sheet" *Hands Care Sheet*. Then see how well they respond (maybe make small talk) and go from there. I seriously doubt they mean to be cruel. They are most likely just uninformed employees looking to make their office pretty. :)

#5 ·
I doubt the bank would get a 5g tank for just one fish. I believe that 2 liters and up works perfectly fine. And if they do get at least a 2.5 liter tank they don't need a filter b/c they should be doing regular water changes anyways. please don't act hostile to the employees I doubt it is their fault they are just uneducated and it's our job as fish keepers to educate them not chastise them.

#6 ·
I see no reason for why ignorance is now a good defense, whoever purchased the fish obviously didn't do any homework on how to care for it, and I doubt that they will so easily change their behaviour with a simple conversation. A fish is a living creature just as puppies and humans are, add to that that ignorance is never a reasonable defense, and you got some good ol fashioned animal cruelty.

I think you should tear the manager or the owner a new a**hole and demand that they change their ways or face a nice fine and bad publicity (public image is everything to smaller banks, as is your money *hint hint*).

#7 · (Edited)
IMO this is ridiculous. Yes, people should do research before they purchase a pet BUT just because they didn't does not by any means make them cruel. I know many people on this forum started out not knowing a thing about betas, and if they were approached by someone who acted hostile like you are suggesting they might have been discouraged from the hobby. A conversation isn't going to hurt anything. The person might just need to be educated. It might not work, but its definitely worth a try. It that doesn't work grater measures can be taken, but even those should be approached a decent attitude.

#8 ·
You can be mad at someone for doing wrong when they didn't know it was wrong. By that mode of thinking a child should be held responsible if he picks up a loaded gun and accidentally kills his parent (its happened before).

Its commonly accepted that bettas can live in small spaces. People just don't understand that it is a myth. It doesn't mean you should be hostile towards them. People are more willing to learn if approached nicely instead of with hostility.

Also.. 2.5 liters is NOT big enough for a betta. That is the equivalent to putting a betta in a coke bottle.. its not big enough. The smallest a betta should be kept in long term is 2 gallons or 7.5 Liters. Any smaller and your looking at a lower life expectancy of the fish.

#9 ·
People are more willing to learn if approached nicely instead of with hostility.
Exactly. Stay professional. If you have the time keep finding excuses to walk into the bank and check on the fish. If you approach them with an attitude or mentioned the RSPCA they may decide a $3 fish is not worth the effort and flush it before they can get fined.

I agree with handing them VERY brief literature to get them started - probably at most half a page. They are not there to care for a fish, they are there to run a business and handing them a novel of printed off pages will get flushed also.

#11 ·
sorry if it came out as if i was mad but the water was so dirty. like as if no water change in 2 months.

i am thinking about asking who ever owns it whether i can adopt it and give it proper care or atleast that they look after it properly

#17 · (Edited)
i am thinking about asking who ever owns it whether i can adopt it and give it proper care or atleast that they look after it properly
If the water was super dirty that probably means they're sick of changing it and might not mind giving him up. :)

Let's put this same situation to a different pet shall we? how about if they kept a great dane in a small sized puppy transport kennel? what if they kept a full sized bearded dragon in a 10 gallon tank? what about a full grown corn snake in a 5 gallon tank?
But you have to remember it is a common misconception that betas only need a small tank. The people might have even been misinformed by the pet store employee. And I never said it should be excused. I just thought a conversation was worth a try.

#14 ·
Ignorance isn't an excuse - you're are correct. Just like ignorance is no excuse for not knowing the law or taking care of your body.

I don't think anyone is disagreeing with the OP on sharing information, we are merely trying to suggest respect for the employees... whether you think they deserve it or not.

Personally, I think how you approach these people is key to how the Betta will [or will not] survive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.