Betta Fish Forum banner

Does this work for my water changes?

1K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  Hallyx 
#1 ·
I have a 10 gal with a filter. After about a week it gets completely filled with waste and it's disgusting. I have a betta and 4 mixed fruit tetras. I just added the tetras about a week ago and tonight I did a 100% water change and cleaned everything. I house them in a 5 gal tank while switching the water with the water from the 10 gal, use water conditioner, bacteria supplement, easy balance plus, and aquarium salt.. I also wait about an hour til the temp is stable at the temp it was when I took them out. Would it be alright to do this once a week with no other water changes? I'm kind of anal about cleanliness and I like it to be sparkling clean ha :) Thanks in advance for any advice :)

#2 ·
#6 ·
Okie dokie, we may need to get to the root of the problem here to be able to fix this. How long has the tank been set up? What type of filter are you using? Have you been testing the water? Is there any reason that you're adding salt?

The Mixed Fruit Tetras you have are indeed dyed White Skirt Tetras - a color morph of the Black Widow Tetra, Gymnocorymbus ternetzi. They're actually a rather peaceful species, but are best kept in groups of at least six or they will fin nip. Because of this, it's highly suggested that they need a larger tank to allow for a larger group. This article on the Black Skirt Tetra is from Betta Fish's sister/parent site, Tropical Fish Keeping, and is written by extremely experienced aquarists - http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/profiles/black-widow-tetra/

#8 ·
Not sure what you mean by "completely filled with waste". It's normal to have waste in a tank, that's what fish do, produce waste. Personally I don't have any other fish with my Bettas in their 10g tanks because I think its too small, they have a single mystery snail. I do weekly 50% water changes with a good vacuuming & there's always gunk with just those two inhabitants. By doing such an aggressive cleaning you are most likely killing off BB which you don't want to do. Salt is not needed unless you are specifically treating for something & if your tank is well established/cycled the bacteria supplement isn't required. Tanks are not supposed to be pristine so don't stress too much over it.

#10 ·
No, but most healthy tanks will have a good amount of waste and thus bacteria. As Shellieca said, you do not need the starter bacteria unless you're setting up a new tank, and prolonged exposure to salt can do harm to your betta's internal organs. I also wouldn't do a 100% change only. You might be messing with your cycle. I personally do a fifty percent with a gravel vacumming in my ten gal every week, but I think you could get away with a 20-30% everyweek. I wouldn't suggest just doing the one 100% every month- they need to be spread out to prevent ammonia build up and keep bacteria present.

#11 ·
Bacteria only eat liquad waste not physical. A aquariu is not even close to a balanced ecosystem. Fpr a ten gallon that is overstocked do a 75 perecent.

#13 ·
Those should not be able to breakdown in tanks Fungus can break it down. Now Walstrad method cuts down on water changes extremely.

#17 ·
Okay, first of all, thanks for the replies. I'm a complete noob and it really helps a lot.

So no more 100% water changes, got it. I'm also upgrading to a 50 gal tank tomorrow. It is from one of my boyfriend's friends who had it for years -- so should it be cycled even though it's been scrubbed and cleaned out? Or does that mean the cycle has to start over? Also, how do I go about setting it up? Meaning even though it is or was a cycled tank should I try to get the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels at a certain level before adding the fish? What maintenance does a 50 gal tank need?

Are there more compatable fish with Bettas than tetras? I was thinking of getting 3 more similar fish so I'll have 6 with the Betta. Would this be overstocked? Any better suggestions?

I was using the salt with the water changes because that's what the guy at PetCo told me I needed to do, but I will stop doing that.

#18 ·
The cycle in that 50g was destroyed in the cleaning. You'll have to start over. Your choice as to how to proceed with the new cycle. If I were doing it, I'd set-up, decorate, plant and stock the tank. Then change water 10/20 gallons weekly while running the filter as high as the fish can handle, the tank at 82* with aeration from an airstone or sponge filter. Stock the tank lightly and gradually.
OR
Run the tank in normal configuration (with weekly water changes as above) and temperature while cycling your filter in a smaller tank or bucket. This method is faster and provides an excess of nitrifying bacteria should you choose to stock the tank heavily.

Oh...in a tank that size, I'd always run a sponge filter in addition to any mechanical filter you may use. Good for the bacteria and good for non-Betta inhabitants.

#19 ·
I have to respectfully disagree a little with hallyx on this. I would set up the tank as suggested, put the 10g filter on the 50g in addition to the 50g filter or take the filter media & put it in the filter for the 50g. I would also use everything I could substrate, decorations, plants from the 10g in the 50g. I realize 100% water change has been done but by the time the 50 is set up there should be some new BB built up & it'll help at least a little in the 50. I would test the water daily & do water changes as required, if ammonia/nitrites are >.25 or nitrates >40. The 50g won't be cycled so water changes will most likely be needed more than once a week. Just my thoughts.

#20 ·
No disagreement at all, Shellie. That's very good advice. Always add whatever potentially live-bacteria-bearing media, substrate or decor you may have available. That makes cycling fish-in a safe and practical alternative.

I did not infer the OP had access to an established tank, is all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.