Betta Fish Forum banner

Dumb decision on my part.

2K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  RainbowSocks 
#1 ·
No worries, my baby is fine! Just realized though that I, still being a newbie, determined which betta type my Patriot is with thinking they labeled him and I just look at the cup they had him in and it indeed is not labeled. So could anyone be so kind as to let me know which betta type he is, tail and coloring etc.?

Thanks so much. I don't want to keep saying he's something he's really not. :oops:

#5 ·
Warm, clean water will heal him quickly. I would remove the plant ASAP also you can use pantyhose (women's tights), run that over any plants/decor in your tank. If something rips the pantyhose, it can rip your betta's fins.

My female used to be in a sorority and she had minor nips on her dorsal & anal fin.. I'm not sure how long it has been healed but she's been out of the sorority for 3 weeks and it is back to normal.

It might grow back clear but eventually should turn back to it's previous color.

#7 ·
It's ok, it was a small mistake.

I had a plastic plant and threw it away last week!

My little PranaMama had a cut in her tail from it but it healed in 2 days after 9 drops of BettaFix!

#8 ·
Be careful using bettafix. It is known to damage their labyrinth organ, and in some cases kills them.

#14 ·
Any silk plants will work but 99% of plastic plants can rip fins. Don't buy walmart's "plant bulbs" they're crap. Lol.

As for live plants, it depends on your lighting. But java fern is a very easy to Care for plant & it doesn't need much light at all. It pretty much works for any tank. It's the one type of plant I HAVENT killed. Lol.

#18 ·
To be honest idk. I can't remember lol. Sorry...
Maybe try looking on craigslist.org someone might be selling aquarium decor/plants. If you don't see any listings you can post a wanted ad.

#16 ·
I only used 1 dose.

What is recommended instead?

#19 ·
If I remember correctly, Walmart does not have silt plants, just plastic. :/ Most Walmarts do have a glow-in-the-dark version of this plant. They also have a glow-in-the-dark type of small cave that I would have purchased if it had been a natural color. I'm not sure how your fish will react to a glow-in-the-dark ornament, but my betta does love that type of plastic plant (mine does not glow). I was a wee bit worried it'd be too pokey, etc., but he's thus far been fine. In my opinion, the rest of Walmarts' caves or ornaments seemed to have too many sharp edges, and I'm too lazy to file them down. (I'm a long-time employee of Walmart... which is why I feel like an encyclopedia when it comes to what we carry LOL).

Some Walmarts have random live plants in their aquariums, but you would totally have to quarantine/sanitize the snot out of them. o_O

And yeah, their live plant bulbs can be hit-and-miss. I've had packages where all the bulbs sprouted, and ones where only one of the four bulbs sprouted. :/

Petsmart and Petco would probably carry java ferns in those plastic tubes usually on display near the end of an aisle (called an end-cap), if you can get to one of those stores. I believe it depends on the store what exactly they have in stock.

Aaaaand you can buy plants online from eBay or Aquabid, but, again in my opinion, paying for shipping is a pain.

-The End

#20 ·
I love Anubias, java moss & java fern personally. With Anubias, I've notice all my fish LOVE to relax on the leaves. The seem pretty easy to take care of & by that I mean I haven't managed to kill them after almost 5 months. lol I have a black thumb! As far as the torn fins go, you may want to try Stress Coat Plus. 2 of my rescues had severely ripped tails due to fin biting & I used a double dose of that for a couple weeks & their fins are doing great! It does tend to make the decor in the tank kind of slimey, but I don't think it's a big deal. I don't know what size tank you have but the dosing is .5 ml per gallon for a regular dose.

#23 ·
Yeah he has been wiggling non-stop. I had to push his gravel to hide the "rock" part and wedge some gems in between where he could swim through and around cause the consistency of it feels just like sandpaper and it rubbed his fins a bit but not badly thank goodness. Other than that he loves it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.