Betta Fish Forum banner

Thinking about it

5K views 30 replies 7 participants last post by  tpocicat 
#1 ·
I'm considering joining the IBC and showing. The showing part is a little intimidating to me since I have some social issues...

I actually have 1 fry left from one of my spawns... and a handful from a spawn I did on the side. >>
The single fry is from my unnamed male yellow dragon HMPK and Conchenn (yellow based marble HMPK female).
The others are from a dragon HM spawn.

I am being careful with the single fry. I don't want to cause any more stress yet than what he has already been through. Once I am sure he is nice and strong, I will take some pics of him.
The other spawn is not handling the heat too well, so I am experimenting with ways of keeping them in their comfort zone temps. So far so good. Both parents of this spawn are HM dragons. The male is black and the female was a black marble.

My other problem is that I now only have 2 females. One is a HM dragon geno (shows it quite well) who is very nicely balanced with a beautiful cadual. The other is my Conchenn. She is a very aggressive and has killed others... So she has a personal 10 gal tank now. The only male I have she has taken to is my yellow dragon.
I have a few males: 2 HM dragons, 1 yellow dragon HMPK, 1 metallic HMPK, 1 metallic marble HMPK, 1 marble DbT, and 1 true giant HMPK.

So.. Any tips would be welcome. ^_^

See less See more
#3 ·
And most times you are sendig fish to the shows by them selves. Most of us are pretty easy to get along with so you will probably get some new friends out of the deal.. :-D

#4 ·
That's what I was thinking. I have PTSD. It brings about a lot of anxiety and panic attacks. I'm training my own psychiatric service dog... But the fish help me relax.

I'm hoping that my HM fry make it through this sudden heat. It's supposed to be hotter tomorrow so I have a fan pointed at their tank. They haven't liked the heat very much so I'm doing everything I can to keep them going and healthy. They've been growing nicely.

#6 ·
I'm going to get the membership as a gift to myself. I think I deserve a little something. lol I'm not sure that any of current fry would be anything to send to shows... but I'm definitely trying.

Making friends would definitely be a plus. I don't get out so much. I have made friends in the Bully world since buying my pup... So I think I'd do the same thing in the betta world. XD

#9 ·
Shipping would make getting them to more shows easier. I live up in OR, and I don't think the shows end up too close to me. I don't drive and my other half has 2 days off a week (Sat and Mon).. So getting to shows would be a bit hard. Though I might be able to talk him into taking a day or two of vacation time when a show is in CA. lol

#14 ·
That would be quite the drive for me... I'll have to see if the other half will go for it.

Was hoping that I could possibly start showing in the spring with my HMs... But it's supposed to get really hot today. Makes me worry about them. I'll probably be spending the next few days fussing over them to keep them cool.

#18 ·
I'm considering joining the IBC and showing. The showing part is a little intimidating to me since I have some social issues...

I actually have 1 fry left from one of my spawns... and a handful from a spawn I did on the side. >>
The single fry is from my unnamed male yellow dragon HMPK and Conchenn (yellow based marble HMPK female).
The others are from a dragon HM spawn.

I am being careful with the single fry. I don't want to cause any more stress yet than what he has already been through. Once I am sure he is nice and strong, I will take some pics of him.
The other spawn is not handling the heat too well, so I am experimenting with ways of keeping them in their comfort zone temps. So far so good. Both parents of this spawn are HM dragons. The male is black and the female was a black marble.

My other problem is that I now only have 2 females. One is a HM dragon geno (shows it quite well) who is very nicely balanced with a beautiful cadual. The other is my Conchenn. She is a very aggressive and has killed others... So she has a personal 10 gal tank now. The only male I have she has taken to is my yellow dragon.
I have a few males: 2 HM dragons, 1 yellow dragon HMPK, 1 metallic HMPK, 1 metallic marble HMPK, 1 marble DbT, and 1 true giant HMPK.

So.. Any tips would be welcome. ^_^
I feel your pain! lol. I don't have PTSD, so I can't say I completely understand what you're going through, but I'm terrible with people. Whenever I think that I might have to talk to someone who I don't know, I have to wear a jacket because I start to sweat. I'm slowly overcomming my social nervousness. I'm very self-aware, which is one of my problems, but its also a good thing, because thats how I'm able to slowly get better on my own.
I plan on participating in shows in the future too. But I probably won't be talking much if I decide to actually go to them. Actually I'll probably only be there long enough to look at all the fish, and then I'll leave, haha.

What does it mean if a fish is a yellow based marble? I know what a marble is, but what is a YELLOW BASED marble?

#19 ·
I think you'd like Conchenn. ^_^
Her main color is this nicely pale yellow. She has a bright yellow spot between her eyes. She also has very light mint green on her fins and in patches on her body. Her dorsal and cadual are both mostly a dark blood red. I really like her.
This is a video with her in it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHysKbO2Sz8&feature=plcp She has more red in her dorsal and tail now and her mint green spots are more noticeable.

#20 ·
She's so beautiful! I love yellows and oranges. If you decide to breed her you should post pictures of the offspring.

#22 ·
They'll make some pretty babies for sure. Are you going to make a spawn log?

#23 ·
Definitely. ^_^
I have 1 baby of theirs left from my last attempt. He seemed a little weak from the heat today though. Worries me. Beginning to think that I might have better luck breeding in the cooler months. Or maybe investing in an AC unit for the room. It has a heating unit that keeps the room in the upper 70s and 80s during the colder months.

Don't think I can show the HMPKs, so I'm hoping the rest of my HMs do well. They don't like the heat either. Nor do my adult HM males.

#24 ·
Sounds like the heat is creating a lot of discomfort. I'd say and AC sounds like a good investment. I hope your fishies pull through. And I can't wait to see pictures of the babies, and of the one left over from thier last spawn.

#25 ·
Yeah. My HMPKs don't seem to care one bit if the temp rises. My giant, Uther, loves when it starts to get hotter. My HM boys and fry don't like it. Not one bit. I've got some fans pointed at tanks for now, but am seriously considering the AC unit.

#26 ·
Maybe you could keep the ones that don't like the heat in a cooler room and keep the ones that like or don't mind it in the warmer room. Idk about fish, but when it comes to tarantulas and millipedes, the higher the temp that you can keep them in without stressing them out or causing health problems, the better, because the heat makes them grow faster. Maybe its the same for fish?

#27 · (Edited)
Then again, I guess there'd be no need to keep the ones that don't mind the heat in the warmer room if they're already full grown. In fact it will shorten their life spans. Making something grow faster this way is basically just speeding up their lives. So if the heat DOES make fish grow faster, I'd keep all my immatures at a warmer temperature and all of my mature ones at a cooler one. And once my immatures matured I'd acclimate them to cooler water and start keeping them in that.

#29 ·
Ajutside has been between 90-100. My bedroom/fishroom is upstairs and gets pretty hot. My HMPK spawn tank got to 100 before I could get to it while I was sick. I got more fans for tanks after that. I'm thinking the AC unit would be the best investment.
I have a lock on my bedroom/fishroom so no more incidents can happen with my tanks like what happened with my sorority.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.