Betta Fish Forum banner

disinfecting new plants

989 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Otterfun 
#1 ·
So I am starting to "aquascape" a 10 gallon tank and I have some river rocks and I bought a java moss ball from petco. I bought other things as well and have some old plants I have been collecting. I was wondering how to disinfect the java moss ball. I was reading that you could bleach them 1 part bleach 20 parts water. Is this correct? How long do I bleach them for? Also, I have the river rocks boiling in a pot right now. They have been for about 10 minutes or so. How much longer should they boil for and do I need to do anything else. After they were done boiling I was going to rinse them and then use them. Did I miss anything?

#2 ·
rinsing the rock after boiling them should be fine, you could give them a good scrubbing with a tooth brush or something like that also to break away tiny debris.

when you get new plants, you should quarantine them for a month, thats just a general rule of thumb. i never heard of bleaching plants, i would think that is bad. but i could be wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.