Betta Fish Forum banner

clean up crew for sorority 20 gl

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Welsh 
#1 ·
What would be a good clean up crew for a 20 gl tank with 6 female bettas without plants?

#2 ·
Some people have otos, I have never used them but I've heard great things about them, the only trouble is that they seem to die in newly estabilished tanks that don't have much algae.

There are mystery snails but IMO they don't do anything just add to the mess lol also I have had nerite snails recommended to me for algae.

Bristlenose Pleco they grow between 5-6 inches but I hear mixed reviews on these, some say they need a tank of atleast 20 gallons but then others say 10 gallons is plenty big enough. I have a baby BN pleco in my 12 gallon but i'm prepared that it may outgrow the tank so I already have a home for him for when this happens. A BN pleco will need some sort of wood in the tank for it to rasp on, this helps with the digestive system, also some plants would be needed as they trace the leaves for algae, some blanched veggies will also help with their dietary needs and the females will also benefit from them too :)

#3 ·
Thank you welsh, I coworker just gave me a pleco let see what happens, he also told me to be very careful with temperature changes and told me to get 3 or 4 angelicus botias, I think that would be more than plenty of fish on a 2o gl tank. what do you think?

#4 · (Edited)
What type of pleco is it?

Have you got wood for the pleco?

After the botias that would be more than enough fish IMO :) if your looking for bottom feeders then instead of the botias you could get a small school of pygmy corys these grow up to 0.75 inches where as the botias have been known to grow up to 5 inches and im not sure whether they may outgrow your tank.

Do you get plants and hiding places for the female bettas and the loaches? they are going to need them as you may know the females can be just as aggressive with each other as the males. Some tall plants and midground plants would be great IMO, the tall plants will make the females less stressed for when they go to the surface and the lower plants can then act as a place to hide. I would also recommend some caves, you can use stones or ceramic pots, these are what most people including myself like to use as they aren't expensive :) just remember to cover the little hole so that no fish get stuck, which surprisingly does happen :)

#6 ·
Thats Ok :) just be prepared that the common pleco will outgrow your tank pretty quickly and can grow up to 60cm in length which is why most people suggest a 125gallon tank for these fish lol, I really don't know why the stores sell these fish when the owners practically need a river to keep them in :lol:

Good luck with your tank :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.